Physics/Chemistry Major, Could Use Some Advice Please

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter I-Caramba!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, a student is seeking advice on their career plans as an undergraduate student with a double major in chemistry and physics and a minor in mathematics. They are confused and unsure about whether to pursue grad school or vet school, as they love their majors but also miss being around animals. They have questions about the difficulty of getting into grad school, the importance of GPA, and the value of a PhD. Some suggest following their passion for animals and going to vet school, while others recommend considering a teaching career in science.
I-Caramba!
Hi Everyone! :biggrin:

Okay, so I need so advice. I'm an undergraduate student currently pursuing a double major in chemistry and physics with a minor in mathematics. I've talked to the professors at my university and asked for their advice on my career plans, but sometimes I'm not sure that they actually hear what I'm saying. They're all for grad school and nothing else seems to matter. :rolleyes:

Anyway! On to what I need advice on. I'm so confused right now. :confused: I thought I had my whole life figured out, go to university, get a degree in veterinary medicine, get a job. Seemed simple enough. That is until I fell in love with my two majors. :!) When that happened I was certain I wanted to go to grad school and stay in at least one of these fields. That was two years ago. Now I have two years until the completion of my undergraduate degree, feeling discouraged about my degree, and I have no idea what I want to do with my life anymore. :frown:

I know two years is a long time, but the courses I take now will affect what choices I have for my career later. I need advice on whether I should set my goals more solidly for grad school or for vet school. I miss being around animals, but I also love my two majors. What I want to know is :uhh:, what is grad school actually like? How hard is it to get into? What should I stive to have my G.P.A by the time I graduate? What made you choose grad school or vet school? Is a PhD worth it? Anything advice would really be a HUGE help!
:smile: Thank you! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
On a normal occasion, I wouldn't have spent the time to read your post, but I couldn't resist cause I love your name.

The answer is simple, you love animals, just do what you need to do to be a vet. I just watched an episode of Dr. Pol today, very cool.

From what I hear, the difficulty of getting into grads school varies with what area you wish to pursue. Universally however, any field in grad school is very hard. To be competitive for any grad school (and this might apply to vet school as well) you want your GPA to be in the 3.5+ area.

Honestly, unless you have very specific aspirations in the scientific community, grad school is probably a waste for most people. If you love animals, go to vet school.

DiracPool said:
On a normal occasion, I wouldn't have spent the time to read your post, but I couldn't resist cause I love your name.

The answer is simple, you love animals, just do what you need to do to be a vet. I just watched an episode of Dr. Pol today, very cool.

Thank you! I wanted a somewhat unique name :approve:

Also thank you for you advice as well, much appreciated! Most people have been telling me to go for vet for that reason.

Sentin3l said:
From what I hear, the difficulty of getting into grads school varies with what area you wish to pursue. Universally however, any field in grad school is very hard. To be competitive for any grad school (and this might apply to vet school as well) you want your GPA to be in the 3.5+ area.

Honestly, unless you have very specific aspirations in the scientific community, grad school is probably a waste for most people. If you love animals, go to vet school.

Thank you for the reply! :smile:

Would you happen to know for vet school, do they look at your specific grades or you G.P.A overall? My G.P.A is reasonably high, around a 3.7, but also have 2 C+, should I consider retaking those if I hope to get into any sort of grad school (one is a biology course, the other is a calculus course)?

I imagine they would mainly look at your GPA, but will probably skim through your classes as well. I wouldn't worry to much about your C+'s for now, but if they request more info or something, then go ahead and explain. Admission committees usually understand one or two non-representative grades, but more than that and they start to wonder.

School's are in deep need for teachers with a physics major and/or chemistry major. I'd start to take some Education courses to get my teaching certificate. That's what I did many years ago and got a job right away! (Also, many nice perks- summer off, holidays, 2 weeks Christmas vacation, 1 week Spring break, 2 day Thanksgiving holiday...)

School's are in deep need for teachers with a physics major and/or chemistry major

Depends very much on where you live. In my area, roughly 5 years of school downsizing have left a pretty competitive market for high school level teachers in all areas.

What career options are available for physics/chemistry majors?

Physics/chemistry majors have a wide range of career options available in various fields such as research, teaching, engineering, healthcare, and many more. Some specific job titles may include physicist, chemist, materials scientist, pharmaceutical researcher, or environmental consultant.

What skills are required for a physics/chemistry major?

A physics/chemistry major requires strong analytical and critical thinking skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematical and scientific concepts. Other important skills include problem-solving, communication, and attention to detail.

What are the potential challenges of pursuing a physics/chemistry major?

Physics/chemistry majors can be challenging due to the heavy workload and complex subject matter. The coursework can also involve a lot of lab work and experiments, which can be time-consuming. Additionally, the job market for these majors can be competitive, so it is important to gain relevant experience and skills during your studies.

What are some tips for success as a physics/chemistry major?

Some tips for success as a physics/chemistry major include staying organized, managing your time effectively, seeking help when needed, and actively engaging in class and lab work. It is also beneficial to participate in research projects or internships to gain practical experience and make connections in the field.

What are some resources for finding internships or jobs as a physics/chemistry major?

There are many resources available for finding internships or jobs as a physics/chemistry major. Your university's career center or department may have job postings or can connect you with alumni in the field. Online job search engines such as Indeed or Glassdoor can also be helpful. Additionally, professional organizations in physics or chemistry may offer job boards or networking opportunities.