Physics concept that originated from an animal source?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of animals' natural abilities and behaviors as inspiration for human inventions and applications of physics. Some examples mentioned include bats for radar, dolphins for sonar, and birds for airplanes. However, the conversation also mentions the need to consider social and environmental aspects when choosing animals for inspiration. Some additional suggestions for animals and their corresponding inventions include dolphins and whales for submarines, turtles and pillbugs for tanks, and flying squirrels for gliders. Other examples mentioned include snakes for infrared vision, bees for ultraviolet vision and a hypodermic needle, geese for a magnetic compass, skunks for tear gas, and horned animals such as deer and buffalo for spears and bayonets. The conversation also
GetNVan4Candy
I need help finding some animals whose application of physics in the nature have inspired people to use the same physics in inventions/different applications.

Some animals I've thought of are:
  • Bats (Radar)
  • Dolphins (Sonar)
  • Birds (Airplanes)

These animals would be perfect, except there aren't many social and environmental aspects I can talk about.

I just need some random animals to help me brainstorm.
If anything jumps into your mind, please post it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure your examples are inspirations, but just use the same technology.

Dolphins & whales (submarines)
Turtles and pillbugs and armadillos (tanks)
Flying squirrels (gliders)
(some) snakes - IR vision
bees (UV vision)(hypodermic needle)
geese (magnetic compass - cells in their brain have little magnets, I think)
most animals - camouflage
skunks (tear gas)
horned animals like deer, buffalo, etc (spears, bayonets)
venus flytrap (animal traps)
plant leaves (solar cells)
claws (studded tires)
Elephants (hoses)
deer, horses (Flex-Foot Cheetah) - they use the same energy store-release technology for running

I believe I've seen a trailer for a TV programme with that (ghastly) Richard Hammond on UK TV tonight - or fairly soon. The trailer seems to be partly along the same lines as your question.

Last edited:

1. How did the concept of "magnetism" originate from animals?

The concept of magnetism originally came from studying the behavior of lodestone, a naturally occurring magnetic mineral. The ancient Greeks noticed that lodestone could attract iron and named it "magnetite" after the region of Magnesia where it was found. However, the word "magnet" itself comes from the Greek term "magnētis lithos" which means "stone from Magnesia". This mineral was also known to attract or repel other stones, leading to the concept of polarity, which is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism.

2. How is the "sonar" concept related to animals?

Sonar technology, which uses sound waves to detect objects in water, was inspired by the echolocation abilities of animals like bats and dolphins. These animals emit high-frequency sounds and listen for the echoes to navigate and locate prey. Similarly, sonar devices emit sound waves and use the echoes to determine the distance and location of objects underwater.

3. What is the connection between "aerodynamics" and animals?

The study of aerodynamics, which deals with the motion of air and how it interacts with objects, was heavily influenced by observations of animals in flight. For example, the shape of bird wings inspired the design of early aircraft wings. The streamlined shape of fish also served as a basis for designing efficient underwater vehicles. Additionally, many aerodynamic concepts, such as lift and drag, were first understood through studying the flight of birds.

4. How does the "hydrodynamics" concept relate to animals?

Hydrodynamics is the study of how fluids, such as water, move and interact with objects. This field was greatly influenced by observations of marine animals, such as fish and dolphins, and their ability to move efficiently through water. Scientists have studied the shape and movement of animal bodies to better understand the principles of hydrodynamics and apply them to the design of ships, submarines, and other watercraft.

5. What is the significance of the "bioluminescence" concept in physics?

Bioluminescence, the ability of living organisms to produce light, has inspired many scientific advancements in the field of physics. The study of how animals, such as fireflies and jellyfish, produce and control light has led to the development of technologies like LED lights and optical fibers. Understanding the physics behind bioluminescence has also helped researchers create new tools for medical imaging and studying cellular processes.