Physics - electrostatic exercise with 4 charges at the corners of a square

Hanz_
Homework Statement
A charge Q1 is fixed in each of the two opposite vertices of the square,
a Q2 charge is placed in each of the other two opposite vertices.
a) Express Q1 through Q2 if the resulting electrostatic
the force acting on each charge Q1 is zero.
b) There is such a value of Q2 for which the resultant electrostatic force would
acting on each of the four charges was zero? Can you explain it to me please
Relevant Equations
I do not understand the procedure of integrations/derivations from which a formula will be created according to which I will calculate.
tablet-2023-12-25 3175114.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Hanz.

Is there a figure that is associated with this exercise? If so, can you scan it and use the "Attach files" link to upload it? I'm not sure I'm understanding the problem statement if the two Q1 have the same value and the two Q2 have the same value...

Likes Hanz_
After thinking about it more I think I see a solution for part (a). Start with the Q1 charges negative, and the Q2 charges positive, and draw them at the vertices of the square. Then draw the resultant force vectors due to the electrostatic charges, and think about what the values have to be to balance out the forces on the Q1 charges.

Likes scottdave, MatinSAR and Hanz_
In your drawing, ##\vec F_{123}## is the hypotenuse of a right triangle with right sides ##\vec F_{12}## and ##\vec F_{13}##. What should the relation of ##\vec F_{14}## be to these for the net force on the charge in the upper left corner to be zero?

Likes MatinSAR
In your diagram, you have an expression for ##\vec F_{12}## and one for ##\vec F_{123}##. Can you combine them?
You have not written an expression for ##\vec F_{14}##.

There are no integrations nor differentiations to be done.

Likes MatinSAR

1. How do you calculate the net electrostatic force on a charge at the center of a square with 4 charges at the corners?

To calculate the net electrostatic force on a charge at the center of a square with 4 charges at the corners, you need to calculate the individual forces between the center charge and each of the corner charges. Then, you can find the vector sum of these forces to determine the net electrostatic force.

2. What is the direction of the net electrostatic force on a charge at the center of a square with 4 charges at the corners?

The direction of the net electrostatic force on a charge at the center of a square with 4 charges at the corners will depend on the relative magnitudes and positions of the corner charges. The net force will point in the direction of the resultant force vector calculated from the individual forces between the center charge and each corner charge.

3. How does the distance between the center charge and the corner charges affect the net electrostatic force?

The distance between the center charge and the corner charges will affect the magnitude of the individual forces and, therefore, the net electrostatic force. As the distance increases, the magnitude of the force decreases according to the inverse square law. This will impact the overall net force experienced by the center charge.

4. Can the net electrostatic force on a charge at the center of a square with 4 charges ever be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the net electrostatic force on a charge at the center of a square with 4 charges to be zero. This would occur if the magnitudes and positions of the corner charges are such that the individual forces cancel each other out, resulting in a net force of zero.

5. How can the principle of superposition be applied to calculate the net electrostatic force in this scenario?

The principle of superposition states that the total force on a charge due to multiple other charges is the vector sum of the forces exerted by each individual charge. In the case of a charge at the center of a square with 4 charges at the corners, you can apply this principle by calculating the forces between the center charge and each corner charge separately, and then summing them up to find the net force.