Physics Grad School Admission Decisions

In summary, the international applicant from Singapore has received two admission notifications, from UIUC and Cornell. Has anyone else here who's an applicant heard anything from the schools?
asvani
Some time ago, I applied for admission to physics graduate school in the US for the Fall term of 2005. By the way, I am an international applicant from Singapore (which isn't in China).

Right about now, I ought to be getting news of the outcomes of my applications. So far, I have 2 admission notifications, from UIUC and Cornell, out of 10 applications.

Has anyone else here who's an applicant heard anything from the schools?

Physics news on Phys.org
I heard back from UCSB last Saturday, and I know someone who's heard back from MIT, CalTech, and Berkeley (All late last week, I think).

Last edited:
asvani said:
By the way, I am an international applicant from Singapore (which isn't in China).

:smile:

I'm sorry, but that was funny. Not all us Americans are that ignorant(well, at least the ones making PhD applications usually aren't).

I will probably be a little longer for you since you're out of country (assuming you're wating for mail notification, if its online, then you should know the same time as everyone else), but not more than a week or so longer i would think.

franznietzsche said:
:smile:

I'm sorry, but that was funny. Not all us Americans are that ignorant(well, at least the ones making PhD applications usually aren't).

I will probably be a little longer for you since you're out of country (assuming you're wating for mail notification, if its online, then you should know the same time as everyone else), but not more than a week or so longer i would think.

It was scary seeing how many people voted for Bush, so I had to play it safe by mentioning explicitly that Singapore isn't in China. :biggrin: And contrary to popular belief, we don't whip or flog people for chewing gum here too.

So far, I have 2, maybe 1.5, admissions. The Cornell one may not count because I heard it from someone who's a physics grad student in Cornell.

asvani said:
It was scary seeing how many people voted for Bush, so I had to play it safe by mentioning explicitly that Singapore isn't in China. :biggrin: And contrary to popular belief, we don't whip or flog people for chewing gum here too.

So far, I have 2, maybe 1.5, admissions. The Cornell one may not count because I heard it from someone who's a physics grad student in Cornell.

I thought it was for throwing gum on the side walk, not for chewing it :wink:

My alma mater(Virginia Tech) was pretty quick to reject me for graduate study in ChemE :-( - so I'll probably have to take more chemistry as an undergrad unless I get in some of the other universities I applied to (long shot)

I've heard from UIUC, UCSB, and UMass, and was accepted to all three. Illinois and Santa Barbara are beyond my wildest dreams, so I was thinking that it was goint to be a tough decision, but Santa Barbara only gives a $15k stipend for a 9 months TA-ship, and with living expenses being what they are in southern California, this may not be a tough decision at all.

I want to do condensed matter anyway, so it seems like Illinois is the place to go. I don't really want to hijack the thread, but if anyone has any first hand experience with either of these two schools, I'd love to hear feedback.

Related to Physics Grad School Admission Decisions

1. What are the basic requirements for admission to a physics graduate program?

The basic requirements for admission to a physics graduate program typically include a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, strong letters of recommendation, competitive GPA, and satisfactory scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) in both the general and subject tests. Some programs may also require a personal statement, research experience, and/or a writing sample.

2. How important are research experience and publications in the admission decision?

Research experience and publications are highly valued by physics graduate programs. They demonstrate your ability to conduct independent research and contribute to the field. Having publications in peer-reviewed journals can also demonstrate your potential for success in a research-based graduate program. However, if you do not have research experience or publications, you can still be considered for admission if you excel in other areas, such as coursework or test scores.

3. Is it necessary to have a specific subfield of interest for admission to a physics graduate program?

While it is not necessary to have a specific subfield of interest, it can be beneficial to have a general idea of the research areas you are interested in. This can help you identify potential advisors and tailor your application to fit the program's strengths. However, it is also common for graduate students to switch subfields during their studies, so having a specific interest is not a requirement for admission.

4. What can I do to make my application stand out to admissions committees?

Aside from meeting the basic requirements, there are several things you can do to make your application stand out. This includes having strong letters of recommendation from professors who can speak to your academic abilities and potential for research, writing a compelling personal statement that showcases your passion for physics and research, and having a strong academic record with coursework and test scores that demonstrate your aptitude for graduate-level studies.

5. How can I improve my chances of being admitted to a top physics graduate program?

To improve your chances of being admitted to a top physics graduate program, it is important to have a strong academic record, research experience and publications, and competitive test scores. Additionally, networking with professors and potential advisors, attending conferences and workshops, and participating in research projects can also make you a more competitive candidate. Finally, submitting a well-crafted application with a strong personal statement and letters of recommendation can also improve your chances of being admitted to a top program.