Physics Graduate Programs Involving Internships in Industry

In summary, the person is a senior undergraduate physics major looking at graduate school options for a future career in industry. They are interested in programs that offer industrial practicums or apprenticeships. They are asking if there are other programs with similar opportunities. The conversation suggests looking into applied physics programs, as they often have direct connections to industry and internships may not be necessary. It is also advised to get in touch with research groups of interest to learn about potential industry connections.
jonesje
Hello PhysicsForums!

I'm currently a senior undergraduate physics major looking at grad school options. I hope to pursue a future career in industry rather than academia. I've found a couple graduate programs that are very interesting to me.

1) Georgetown University Industrial Leadership in Physics (ILP)
http://physics.georgetown.edu/graduate-studies/graduate-studies/industrial-leadership-physics

2) University of South Florida
http://physics.usf.edu/graduate/phd/

Both programs offer some kind of "Industrial Practicum or Industrial Apprenticeship" as part of their program.

I'm wondering if there are any other programs out there that have similar programs? So that industry experience and connections will be gained during graduate school.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at applied physics programs. The professors often have direct connections to industry (they do at my institution). An internship may be unnecessary but it certainly isn't a bad thing.

After a quick search, I was only able to find http://internship.uoregon.edu/overview.html Apparently it is only for those four listed fields, though.

Arsenic&Lace said:
Look at applied physics programs.

Given that one is already intent on going into a field relevant to indstury (e.g. condensed matter, accelerators, or optics), how much of an advantage would an applied physics MS or PhD have over an experimental one?

It's just a name, for instance there are numerous groups at my institution who do more or less applied physics even though there is no official applied physics group.

A different way of interpreting my advice is that you should consider getting in touch with research groups of interest irrespective of whether or not an internship is offered and figure out where graduates go and what sorts of connections exist, since some of these groups probably funnel students into industry with or without an internship.

As a fellow physicist, I can understand your interest in pursuing a future career in industry rather than academia. Both the programs you have mentioned seem to provide valuable opportunities for gaining industry experience and connections during graduate school. I would recommend researching other universities and their physics graduate programs to see if they offer similar opportunities. You could also reach out to professionals in the industry and ask for their recommendations or insights on graduate programs that have a strong focus on industry internships. Additionally, networking and attending conferences or career fairs can also help you discover potential graduate programs with industrial internships. Best of luck in your search!

What are some examples of physics graduate programs that offer internships in industry?

Some examples of physics graduate programs that offer internships in industry include the University of Michigan's Applied Physics program, the University of California Berkeley's Physics and Industrial Engineering joint program, and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's Physics and Industrial Physics program.

What is the purpose of internships in industry within a physics graduate program?

The purpose of internships in industry within a physics graduate program is to provide students with hands-on experience in applying their theoretical knowledge to real-world problems and projects. This allows them to gain practical skills and insights that are not typically taught in a classroom setting, and also helps them make connections in the industry for future job opportunities.

How are internships in industry incorporated into a physics graduate program?

Internships in industry are typically incorporated into a physics graduate program through a structured program or course that is designed to provide students with a specific number of hours or credits for completing an internship. Some programs may also require students to complete a final project or report based on their internship experience.

What are the benefits of completing an internship in industry during a physics graduate program?

The benefits of completing an internship in industry during a physics graduate program include gaining practical experience, developing valuable skills and connections, and enhancing job prospects after graduation. It also allows students to explore different career paths and industries within the field of physics.

Are internships in industry required for all physics graduate programs?

No, internships in industry are not required for all physics graduate programs. Some programs may offer internships as optional opportunities, while others may not have any internship options at all. It is important to research and understand the specific requirements and opportunities of each program before applying.