What Was the Take Off Speed of the Bike Rider?

Therefore, the take off speed is approximately 19.2 m/s. In summary, the rider's take off speed was approximately 19.2 m/s after launching from a ramp at an angle of 32 degrees and traveling a horizontal distance of 36m. This is based on the formula S=ut+1/2at^2 and using the values of 36m for horizontal distance, 32 degrees for launch angle, and 9.81 m/s^2 for acceleration due to gravity.
Paul_H
1. A bike rider leaves a ramp at an angle of 32 degrees and lands at the same height after traveling a horizontal distance of 36m. What was his take off speed?

2. S=ut+1/2at^2

3. My attempt:
Vertical : s u v a=9.81 t=?
Horizontal: s=36m u v a=0 t=?

Horizontal:
S=ut+1/2at^2
36=(xcos32)t
36/(xcos32) = t

Vertical
S=ut+1/2at^2
xsin32/4.905 = t

36/xcos32 = xsin32/4.905

36*4.905 (xsin32)(xcos32)

Thats my best attempt, hopefully someone can tell me if I am going wrong and what is the next step in order to complete the question. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
36*4.905 = (xsin32)(xcos32) looks okay to me.
To solve for x, divide both sides by sin(32)*cos(32)
and take the square root of both sides.

!

Hello, I see that you have attempted to solve the problem using the equations of kinematics. Your approach seems to be correct so far. However, in order to find the take off speed, you will need to use the equation v=u+at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (take off speed), a is the acceleration (in this case, it is the acceleration due to gravity, which is -9.81 m/s^2), and t is the time.

To find the time, you can use the equation that you have already derived for the horizontal distance: 36/(xcos32) = t. Substituting this value of t into the equation for vertical distance, you can solve for the initial velocity (u).

v=u+at
0=u+(-9.81)(36/(xcos32))

Solving for u, we get:
u= 12.83 m/s

Therefore, the take off speed of the bike rider was 12.83 m/s. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to What Was the Take Off Speed of the Bike Rider?

What is Physics Kinematics Assistance?

Physics Kinematics Assistance is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion, specifically the description of motion in terms of position, velocity, and acceleration. It helps us understand how objects move through space and time.

What concepts are included in Physics Kinematics Assistance?

Some of the key concepts included in Physics Kinematics Assistance are displacement, velocity, acceleration, time, and position. These concepts are used to describe the motion of objects and predict their future movements.

How is Physics Kinematics Assistance used in real life?

Physics Kinematics Assistance is used in many real-life applications such as designing cars, airplanes, and other modes of transportation. It is also used in sports to analyze the performance of athletes and in video games to create realistic movements.

What are the types of motion studied in Physics Kinematics Assistance?

The types of motion studied in Physics Kinematics Assistance include linear motion, circular motion, projectile motion, and rotational motion. These types of motion can be described in terms of displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

What are some common equations used in Physics Kinematics Assistance?

Some common equations used in Physics Kinematics Assistance include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These include the equations:
- Displacement (Δx) = Final position (xf) - Initial position (xi)
- Average velocity (v) = Displacement (Δx) / Time (Δt)
- Average acceleration (a) = Change in velocity (Δv) / Time (Δt)