Physics Major applying for EE internships

In summary, you should focus on attending career fairs, networking with people in your field, and presenting yourself as the perfect candidate for the EE related internship.
MightyDogg
Hello all,

I am a senior physics major currently in the process of applying into an EE masters program. I'd like to get an EE related internship next summer to get some work experience. How should I go about this? There is a career fair at my school sometime this fall. When I approach potential employers should I discuss how I am currently applying into masters programs? Or just leave it at physics? Will my chances of getting the internship be worse than if I was an EE major, or can I somehow spin it so my situation (physics major who took a few engineering courses) appears better.

The EE related courses I'll have taken by next summer:
Math until Differential Equations
Circuits
Signals and Systems
Introduction to Programming

What should I be doing now to increase the odds that I get an internship?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you want to say that you are applying to an EE Masters program, because that will make it look like you are interested in engineering. As for increasing the odds of getting an internship, it really depends a lot on the company offering the internship, but I can make some guesses about what helps: good grades, relevant prior internships or work experience, relevant extracurriculars, and good soft skills. The things that help you get an internship are by and large the same things that help you get a job.

MightyDogg said:
Hello all,

I am a senior physics major currently in the process of applying into an EE masters program. I'd like to get an EE related internship next summer to get some work experience. How should I go about this? There is a career fair at my school sometime this fall. When I approach potential employers should I discuss how I am currently applying into masters programs? Or just leave it at physics? Will my chances of getting the internship be worse than if I was an EE major, or can I somehow spin it so my situation (physics major who took a few engineering courses) appears better.

The EE related courses I'll have taken by next summer:
Math until Differential Equations
Circuits
Signals and Systems
Introduction to Programming

What should I be doing now to increase the odds that I get an internship?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Your chances of getting an internship are worse than if you'd have an engineering degree, but there are lots of engineering internships and jobs that ask for physics majors concurrently with EE majors; or so I've seen when I was job searching. These being mostly those of the eletromagnetics and RF variety so you might want to focus on the sort of work which blends well with what your physics background brings to the table.

1. What skills from a physics major are relevant for an EE internship?

As a physics major, you have a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving, and critical thinking. These skills are crucial for understanding complex electrical engineering concepts and designing solutions.

2. How can I highlight my physics background in my EE internship application?

Be sure to mention any relevant coursework in your application, such as electromagnetism, circuits, or quantum mechanics. You can also highlight any research or projects related to electrical engineering that you have completed during your studies.

3. Will my lack of experience in electrical engineering be a disadvantage in the internship application process?

Not necessarily. Many employers are looking for candidates with a strong academic background and potential for growth. Highlight your transferable skills and your eagerness to learn and apply them in the field of electrical engineering.

4. How can I gain practical experience in electrical engineering as a physics major?

Consider taking elective courses in electrical engineering or participating in relevant extracurricular activities, such as a robotics club or a coding competition. You can also reach out to professors or professionals in the field for mentorship or internship opportunities.

5. How can I prepare for an EE internship as a physics major?

Familiarize yourself with basic electrical engineering principles and concepts, such as circuits, signals, and systems. You can also practice coding and using relevant software tools commonly used in the field. Additionally, work on improving your communication and teamwork skills, as they are essential for success in any internship.