Physics of a microwave - why does the turntable spin?

In summary: If the wavelength is 1cm, then the distance between the peaks is 0.01cm. So if the distance between the peaks is doubled, then the wavelength would be doubled as well.
tayles123

Homework Statement

A microwave oven operates by injecting electromagnetic waves with a frequency of 2.45 GHz into the cavity formed by the conducting metal shields on each face of the oven box. Explain, with the aid of sketches and simple calculations, why it is generally necessary to rotate the food using a turntable during operation

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess is something to do with standing waves, and waves reflecting off of the metal shields causing interference and so different strengths of the EM waves will hit the food, so by rotating the turntable you get a more evenly cooked food.
However this is a 4 mark question, and I don't see why I need the frequency.
Help much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
tayles123 said:

Homework Statement

A microwave oven operates by injecting electromagnetic waves with a frequency of 2.45 GHz into the cavity formed by the conducting metal shields on each face of the oven box. Explain, with the aid of sketches and simple calculations, why it is generally necessary to rotate the food using a turntable during operation

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess is something to do with standing waves, and waves reflecting off of the metal shields causing interference and so different strengths of the EM waves will hit the food, so by rotating the turntable you get a more evenly cooked food.
However this is a 4 mark question, and I don't see why I need the frequency.
Help much appreciated!
Use the frequency and the speed of light to calculate the distance between the peaks of the standing waves... :smile:

Likes tayles123
berkeman said:
Use the frequency and the speed of light to calculate the distance between the peaks of the standing waves... :smile:

Ah thanks I see that, but why would the distance between the peaks be relevant? Would it just be a tool in explaining why if the turntable was still, then not all of the food would get heated ~ evenly?

tayles123 said:
Ah thanks I see that, but why would the distance between the peaks be relevant? Would it just be a tool in explaining why if the turntable was still, then not all of the food would get heated ~ evenly?
Yes, you are on the right track. What is the wavelength of 2.4GHz EM radiation?

berkeman said:
Yes, you are on the right track. What is the wavelength of 2.4GHz EM radiation?

0.125m so this is double the length of the standing wave?

tayles123 said:
For the fundamental mode, yes.
http://media.opencurriculum.org/art.../standing-waves-and-musical-instruments/2.png
2.png

Likes tayles123
tayles123 said:
What do you mean by "the length of the standing wave" that is different from the wavelength? Do you mean the distance between two antinodes?

I thought it's because of a better heat distribution. It might happen that you heat up only parts of your food, so spinning is at least an attempt to avoid this. Am I wrong assuming it's just that simple?

fresh_42 said:
I thought it's because of a better heat distribution. It might happen that you heat up only parts of your food, so spinning is at least an attempt to avoid this. Am I wrong assuming it's just that simple?
That's basically right, but only shows it could be a problem. You need to think about the wavelength to show there actually is a problem.

Likes CWatters, billy_joule, PietKuip and 1 other person

1. How does a microwave work?

A microwave works by using electromagnetic waves to rapidly oscillate the water molecules within food, causing them to vibrate and produce heat. This heat is what cooks the food from the inside out.

2. Why does the turntable spin in a microwave?

The turntable in a microwave spins to ensure that the food is evenly heated. Without the turntable, certain areas of the food may not receive enough heat and could result in uneven cooking.

3. What causes the turntable to spin?

The turntable is powered by a small motor that is connected to gears and belts. When the microwave is turned on, the motor is activated and rotates the turntable.

4. Can the turntable be turned off?

Some microwaves have the option to turn off the turntable, but it is not recommended. As mentioned before, the turntable helps to evenly distribute heat throughout the food. Turning it off could result in uneven cooking and potentially undercooked or overcooked food.

5. What happens if the turntable is not spinning?

If the turntable is not spinning, it could be due to a malfunctioning motor or a problem with the gears and belts. This could result in uneven cooking and potentially damage to the microwave. It is best to have it repaired or replaced by a professional.