Physics of a TreadWheel [Abstract Concept?]

In summary: You are standing 1.5 meters away from this circle. The weight is 500 Newtons. The speed is unknown.The maximum weight you can lift is 500 Newton.
012anonymousx

Homework Statement

[EDIT] Cleaned up the problem.

A tread wheel crane is an ancient device used to lift heavy objects. It consists of a large circle (like a hamster wheel) for a person to walk inside. The large circle connects to the middle where there is a small circle that is attached a rope that goes over a pulley and hooks onto some mass.
http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/03/history-of-human-powered-cranes.html

Givens:
Outer circle radius = 6m
Inner circle radius = 0.5m
My weight: 500N
My speed: unknown.
I stand 1.5m away from the center of both circles

What is the maximum weight I can lift?

Homework Equations

F = (m)(v^2)/r
a(radial) = (v^2)/r
a(radial) = (r)(w^2)
v(tang) = (r)(w)

The Attempt at a Solution

I draw the two circles and placd a dot 1.2m from the center on the edge of the outer circle. The distance from the edge to the center is the radius of the big circle.

You can work out that the tangential force is mgsin(theta) given the geometry. Similarily, you can get a force directed outward mgcos(theta)

I'm thinking that F(Radial) is equal to F(outward). But I also thought perhaps you can solve v(tangential) given the tangent force...

But going ahead with the F(Radial) thing,

F(radial) = F(outward)
500cos(theta) = m(v^2)/r

That is where I was able to get to, because I do not know what mass is in this context. Nothing is really spinning around. Maybe my whole approach is wrong. I would greatly appreciate insight and help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
v^2/r is normally associated with centripetal acceleration. What is wanted in this case is the tangental force at the radius of the small circle.

Yeah, I figured that after I thought about it a lot.

So F = ma, and we have the tangental force at the radius of the bigger circle.

But f = ma, and once again, we don't have m and we shouldn't even have a. The circle should not be accelerating. The angular velocity anyway.

012anonymousx said:
But f = ma, and once again, we don't have m and we shouldn't even have a.
You have the weight that is supposed to be lifted by a rope attached at the radius of the inner wheel.

The tread wheel crane is a prime example of how simple machines can be used to accomplish tasks that would otherwise require a great deal of effort. In terms of physics, the tread wheel operates on the principles of rotational motion and torque.

The maximum weight that can be lifted by the tread wheel crane depends on a few factors, including the radius of the outer and inner circles, your weight, and your speed. Based on the given information, we can use the equation F = (m)(v^2)/r to determine the maximum weight that can be lifted. However, it is important to note that this equation assumes a constant speed and circular motion, which may not be the case in this scenario.

To accurately determine the maximum weight that can be lifted, we would need to consider the dynamics of the tread wheel, including the forces acting on it and the motion of the person inside. This would require a more detailed analysis and may involve considering other factors such as friction and the strength of the materials used.

Overall, the tread wheel crane is a fascinating application of physics and serves as a reminder of how simple machines can be used to accomplish tasks that would otherwise be impossible.

Related to Physics of a TreadWheel [Abstract Concept?]

1. What is the TreadWheel and how does it work?

The TreadWheel is an abstract concept that combines elements of a treadmill and a hamster wheel. It consists of a large wheel with a flat surface that rotates on a central axis. The user walks on the flat surface, creating motion that propels the wheel forward. This motion is then used to power other machines or generate electricity.

2. What is the physics behind the TreadWheel's motion?

The TreadWheel's motion is based on the principle of conservation of energy. When the user walks on the flat surface, they are using their muscles to convert chemical energy into kinetic energy. This kinetic energy is then transferred to the wheel, causing it to rotate. Friction and air resistance also play a role in determining the speed and efficiency of the TreadWheel's motion.

3. How does the TreadWheel generate electricity?

The TreadWheel can be designed to generate electricity through either mechanical or electrical means. In a mechanical setup, the rotating wheel is connected to a generator, which converts the mechanical energy into electrical energy. In an electrical setup, the TreadWheel itself is made of special materials that can produce electricity when subjected to pressure or motion.

4. What are the potential benefits of using a TreadWheel?

The TreadWheel has several potential benefits, including its ability to generate electricity without the use of fossil fuels, its portability and versatility, and its potential for use in developing countries or disaster relief situations where access to electricity may be limited. It also promotes physical activity, which can have numerous health benefits.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a TreadWheel?

One potential limitation of the TreadWheel is its efficiency. Due to factors such as friction and air resistance, it may not be as efficient at generating electricity as other renewable energy sources. Additionally, it may not be suitable for all types of activities or terrain. Finally, it may require a significant amount of maintenance to keep it in good working condition.