Physics of Glove side movements in Baseball Pitching

In summary, the conversation discusses the physics behind a pitcher using his glove side in throwing a ball and how it can potentially increase his rotational velocity due to conservation of angular momentum. The concept is compared to a skater using their arm to jump. The conversation also mentions approximations that could be made to quantify the movement and velocity of the pitcher's arm.
mcloven
I had a question that I think relates to conservation of angular momentum.
What are the physics behind a pitcher using his glove side in these gifs? Could it help accelerate his arm by pulling his glove side shoulder/arm in (or out of the rotational plane)? I guess also need to take into account converting forward momentum in addition to the rotational.
45dff7c6806a18f5.gif

067428ac4c2e8ab4.gif

250f928b8b589ab7.gif

Like this skater using her arm to jump?
a26d17759676797f.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you called it,

his ball arm extends to increase its tangential velocity on release

and his glove arm comes into increase his rotational velocity (because of conservation of angular momentum)

you could kind of approximate by ignoring the height difference between hands and assigning some geometric shapes with known rotational inertia ot particles as parts of body and glove and ball, interesting problem If it wasn't my last chapter but this one I would quantify everything to the best of my ability for ya, but yes your getting the concept

EDIT; re-looking at pics, ignoring any difference in height wouldn't work cause the rotational planes pretty vertical, but some approximations would still totally make this problem doable with a good degree of accuracy. The forward movement would qualify as cm of system movement and could just be added to the tangential velocity upon release (but he doesn't release tangent to the circle its more of an arch so that might throw off some numbers)

EDIT 2 : maybe it is roughly tangent to a circle with his cm at the center, that would make sense, I'd have to know more about baseball or decide on some reasonable approximations based on optimizing tangential velocity to help you further

Last edited:
Likes mcloven

1. What is the purpose of glove side movements in baseball pitching?

Glove side movements in baseball pitching serve two main purposes: to maintain balance and to enhance accuracy. By moving the glove side (non-throwing side) of the body towards the target, the pitcher can counterbalance the force of the throwing arm and maintain proper posture. This also helps with accuracy by keeping the body and arm in line with the intended target.

2. How do glove side movements affect the speed of a pitch?

Glove side movements do not directly affect the speed of a pitch. However, by maintaining balance and proper mechanics, a pitcher can generate more power from their lower body and transfer it through their throwing arm, resulting in a faster pitch. Additionally, proper glove side movement can improve accuracy, allowing the pitcher to throw the ball with more confidence and less hesitation, which can also contribute to increased velocity.

3. Are there different techniques for glove side movements in baseball pitching?

Yes, there are different techniques for glove side movements in baseball pitching. Some pitchers may prefer to keep their glove hand close to their body throughout the pitching motion, while others may extend their arm outwards towards the target. Additionally, some pitchers may incorporate a slight twist or rotation of the torso towards the glove side, while others may keep their upper body facing forward. The key is to find a technique that works best for the individual pitcher and allows them to maintain balance and accuracy.

4. How does the height and length of a pitcher's arm affect glove side movements?

The height and length of a pitcher's arm can affect glove side movements in a few ways. A longer arm may require a longer and more exaggerated glove side movement to maintain balance and generate power. Additionally, the height of the pitcher can affect the angle at which they release the ball, which can also impact the effectiveness of their glove side movements. Ultimately, the pitcher should focus on finding a comfortable and efficient arm angle that allows them to maintain proper mechanics and generate maximum power.

5. Can proper glove side movements prevent injury in baseball pitching?

Yes, proper glove side movements can help prevent injury in baseball pitching. By maintaining balance and proper mechanics, the pitcher can reduce the strain on their throwing arm and avoid overcompensating with their non-throwing arm. Additionally, proper glove side movements can help distribute the force of the pitch more evenly throughout the body, reducing the risk of injury to any specific area. However, it is important for pitchers to also have a proper warm-up routine and listen to their body to prevent injury.