Simple Ice Skater with Conservation of Angular Momentum

In summary, when an ice skater changes their moment of inertia by pulling in their arms, their angular velocity will increase due to the conservation of angular momentum, and this change in angular velocity does not necessarily mean there is an external torque acting on them. The more fundamental equation is ##\tau = \frac{dL}{dt}##, which shows that the net torque on the skater is equal to the rate of change of their angular momentum. This is similar to how net force is equal to the rate of change of linear momentum in the case of linear motion.
Lost1ne

Homework Statement

Not a HW problem, but a "me re-thinking things" problem. Please tell me where my thinking is flawed:

You have an ice skater with no net external torques acting on him/her. (We are analyzing the time after they have to get an external torque on them by pushing off of the ground, and we are ignoring air resistance/friction slowing them back down.) Thus, their angular momentum is conserved. Thus, when they decrease their moment of inertia by moving their body in such a manner that more of their mass is closer to the axis of rotation (i.e., they pull their arms in towards their body), their angular velocity must increase, and vice versa.

But a change in angular velocity means that there must be an angular acceleration. If the ice skater then both a) has a moment of inertia about that axis of rotation, and b) is undergoing an angular acceleration of some magnitude, then, mathematically, there must be an external torque acting on them, right? But we're analyzing the problem under the assumption that the external torque is zero...I'm confused.

Homework Equations

Conservation of angular momentum of the ice skater about the vertical axis of rotation that runs through their center of mass. (L = I*w.) The time-derivative of angular momentum equaling zero as the net external torque on the ice-skater system equals zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lost1ne said:
undergoing an angular acceleration of some magnitude, then, mathematically, there must be an external torque acting on them, right?
No, that's the point. A torque is required to change the angular momentum, but by reducing the moment of inertia it is possible to increase angular velocity without changing angular momentum.

Lost1ne said:
But a change in angular velocity means that there must be an angular acceleration.
Right.
Lost1ne said:
If the ice skater then both a) has a moment of inertia about that axis of rotation, and b) is undergoing an angular acceleration of some magnitude, then, mathematically, there must be an external torque acting on them, right?
Wrong. The rate of change of angular momentum with respect to time is equal to the external torque, ##\tau = \frac{dL}{dt}##. When there is no external torque but the moment of inertia changes, mathematically, $$0=\frac{dL}{dt}=\frac{d(I \omega)}{dt}=\omega\frac{dI}{dt}+I\frac{d\omega}{dt}=\omega\frac{dI}{dt}+I\alpha~ \rightarrow~\alpha =-\frac{\omega}{I}\frac{dI}{dt}$$ Thus, when the skater's moment of inertia is reduced as (s)he pulls in his/her arms, ##dI/dt## is negative, which makes ##\alpha## positive (same directon as ##\omega##) which means that the angular speed increases.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
Right.

Wrong. The rate of change of angular momentum with respect to time is equal to the external torque, ##\tau = \frac{dL}{dt}##. When there is no external torque but the moment of inertia changes, mathematically, $$0=\frac{dL}{dt}=\frac{d(I \omega)}{dt}=\omega\frac{dI}{dt}+I\frac{d\omega}{dt}=\omega\frac{dI}{dt}+I\alpha~ \rightarrow~\alpha =-\frac{\omega}{I}\frac{dI}{dt}$$ Thus, when the skater's moment of inertia is reduced as (s)he pulls in his/her arms, ##dI/dt## is negative, which makes ##\alpha## positive (same directon as ##\omega##) which means that the angular speed increases.

Ohhhh, okay. From what I'm looking at, the equation of net torque = I*alpha is derived like you've shown from the time-derivative of angular momentum. However, t = I * alpha is derived under the assumption that the moment of inertia is constant, which is why that dI/dt term vanishes (it equals zero) and we obtain what you've shown.

In this sense, do we simply state that net torque = dL/dt is more fundamental than net torque = I * alpha?? I guess we would also say this analogously with net force and it being the time derivative of linear momentum versus the net force equaling mass * linear acceleration.

Lost1ne said:
net torque = dL/dt is more fundamental than net torque = I * alpha?
Yes!

1. What is the concept of conservation of angular momentum in ice skating?

The concept of conservation of angular momentum in ice skating is based on the principle that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is applied. In the case of an ice skater, their angular momentum is conserved when they are in motion as long as there are no external forces acting on them, such as friction from the ice or air resistance.

2. How does the simple ice skater demonstrate conservation of angular momentum?

The simple ice skater demonstration involves an ice skater performing a spin with their arms extended and then bringing their arms in close to their body. As the skater brings their arms in, their rotational inertia decreases, causing their angular velocity to increase to maintain the same angular momentum. This demonstrates the conservation of angular momentum as the total angular momentum of the system (skater and ice) remains constant.

3. What factors affect the angular momentum of an ice skater?

The angular momentum of an ice skater can be affected by factors such as the skater's body mass, the distance between their body parts, and their angular velocity. The distribution of mass in their body and the placement of their limbs can also impact their angular momentum.

4. Can angular momentum be transferred between objects in ice skating?

Yes, angular momentum can be transferred between objects in ice skating. This can occur when two skaters are performing a partner spin, where one skater's angular momentum is transferred to the other as they hold onto each other and spin together. Angular momentum can also be transferred when a skater performs a jump off of the ice, as their angular momentum changes when they leave the surface.

5. How is angular momentum conserved in more complex ice skating movements?

In more complex ice skating movements, such as jumps and spins, angular momentum is conserved by the skater adjusting their body position and distribution of mass. For example, a skater may extend their arms and legs during a jump to increase their rotational inertia and maintain their angular momentum. They may also change their body position mid-spin to redistribute their mass and maintain their angular momentum. Additionally, the use of external torque from the ice surface can also help to conserve angular momentum during more complex movements.