Physics of riding a motorcycle

In summary, my father recently took a motorcycle class he had to take in order to be able to legally ride one. He said we was told that, in order to turn at high speed, he was supposed to push on the side of the handlebar that he wanted to go. As in, he had to push with his left hand and pull with his right in order to turn left. If this is correct, i don't understand the physics in it. Does anyone else know?? Thanks.
thomasxc
my father recently took a motorcycle class he had to take in order to be able to legally ride one. he said we was told that, in order to turn at high speed, he was supposed to push on the side of the handlebar that he wanted to go. as in, he had to push with his left hand and pull with his right in order to turn left. if this is correct, i don't understand the physics in it. does anyone else know?? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
thomasxc said:
my father recently took a motorcycle class he had to take in order to be able to legally ride one. he said we was told that, in order to turn at high speed, he was supposed to push on the side of the handlebar that he wanted to go. as in, he had to push with his left hand and pull with his right in order to turn left. if this is correct, i don't understand the physics in it. does anyone else know?? thanks.

It's called "countersteering", and is one way of steering a motorcycle. We've had discussions about countersteering and "bodysteering" (a different way to steer) here on the PF before... I'll see if I can find them with a search...

Short version: In order to turn left, you have to lean left; to lean left, you have to steer right briefly (so that tires are steered right from under you, leaning the bike left); once leaned, you steer left, ... and vice versa.

The steering geometry of most motorcycles is designed to steer excessively inwards based on the lean angle (and reasonable speeds), which cause the motorcyle to return or remain vertical without steering inputs. Once leaned, the excessive inwards steering requires a bit of outwards steering torque applied to the handlebars is needed to hold a lean angle on most motorcycles. Braking while leaned can increase the excessive inwards steering response. Some racer-replica sport bikes are designed to minimize the excessive inwards response, but are a bit less stable.

thomasxc said:
my father ... said we was told that, in order to turn at high speed, he was supposed to push on the side of the handlebar that he wanted to go.

Well I hope they did more than "tell" him this. As in, I hope the class included an opportunity to do it. No argument or physics-based explanation can substitute for the almost magically 'quick' change in direction induced by actually pushing on the bars at speed. Countersteering flat works. And the more you do it, the more natural it seems.

he did say it worked. and i think its interesting simply because it seems counter-intuitive. then again, so are a lot of physics phenomena.

exact opposite of driving a snow mobile
Canadians..help me here!

This works on bicycles as well. Hi speed is not necessary. Just apply a gentle pressure and get ready to lean and turn.

the second thread is a good one, berkeman.thx.

and i am on my way outside to try that, integral. hah.

i jumped on the bicycle. it totally works, and that's totally awesome! (forgive my 17 year-old, lacking vocabulary.)

What is the physics behind balancing a motorcycle?

Balancing a motorcycle requires an understanding of the principle of conservation of angular momentum. When a motorcycle is in motion, it creates a gyroscopic effect, which helps to stabilize the bike and keep it upright. This effect is caused by the spinning of the wheels, which creates a force that counteracts any tilting or leaning of the bike. Additionally, the rider's body position and movements also play a role in maintaining balance.

What factors affect the stability of a motorcycle?

The stability of a motorcycle is affected by several factors, including the weight and distribution of the bike and rider, the speed at which the bike is traveling, and external forces such as wind or road conditions. The design and suspension of the motorcycle also play a role in its stability.

How does the engine of a motorcycle affect its acceleration?

The engine of a motorcycle generates power through combustion, which produces a force that is transmitted to the wheels through the transmission. This force, combined with the weight and aerodynamics of the bike, determines its acceleration. A more powerful engine and lighter weight can result in faster acceleration.

What is the role of friction in motorcycle physics?

Friction plays a crucial role in motorcycle physics, as it is the force that allows the tires to grip the road and enables the bike to turn and maneuver. Friction also affects the braking distance of a motorcycle. The type and condition of the tires, as well as the road surface, can significantly impact the amount of friction present.

How do motorcycle riders use their body to control the bike?

Motorcycle riders use their body position and movements to control the bike's balance and direction. Leaning into a turn, shifting their weight to one side, and using their arms and legs to control the handlebars and foot pegs are all ways in which riders can manipulate the bike's physics and maneuver through different situations on the road.