Physics or Engineering after high school?

In summary, the conversation is about a high school student seeking advice on what to study in university. The student is torn between their love for science and math, and their dream of becoming an astronomer. They are considering studying engineering as it seems like a more feasible career choice, but they are worried they will regret not studying physics. The conversation also suggests the possibility of dual-majoring or pursuing astronomy as a hobby while having a career in engineering. Overall, the advice is to not worry too much about career decisions at this stage and to keep an open mind as interests and plans may change in college.
Ju00611
I am really hoping someone will be able to give some advice on this because this decision is very stressful.

I will be graduating high school in a couple of months and need to make a decision as to what I want to study in university. I have always loved science and math and have taken a university level calculus course that my school offers. I really enjoyed it. The first job that came to mind when I thought of science and math was engineering, so that's what I applied for (and was accepted in to).

However, I have always wanted to do something space-related since I was very young. Being an astronomer would be a dream for me because it combines my love of space and math. However, that job requires a phd in astrophysics. I would be willing to do the work to get the degree, but from what I understand it's a VERY unemployable degree. I'd love to have the degree, but if I won't be able to get the job maybe I'd be better off as an engineer. Is it really that difficult to get a job as an astronomer? Or maybe to do research as a physicist?

I would like to be an astronomer more than anything, but unfortunately it seems like engineering is a much more feasible career choice (not that engineering is a bad career by any means). I'd just hate to be sitting at work ten years from now wondering, "what if I had studied physics?"... Any thoughts/advice? Are there any other jobs that involve space that I could look into? Sorry this is long, and thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use your first year to clear some electives and find out what you enjoy.

Likes Katyan Anshuman and berkeman
Being known as a reliable engineer is a good ticket for astronomy and many other things.
It''s not as boring as it sounds.

<< Post edited by Mentor >>

Last edited by a moderator:
So, you are describing me. Have a look at my website and ask yourself if you'd be happy with astronomy as a semiserious hobby, funded by a good engineering career.

Regardless of what you choose, it is very good that you are so concerned with career prospects at this stage. Too many people study something they are interested in, but holds little or no future value to them.

Ju00611 said:
I am really hoping someone will be able to give some advice on this because this decision is very stressful.

I will be graduating high school in a couple of months and need to make a decision as to what I want to study in university. I have always loved science and math and have taken a university level calculus course that my school offers. I really enjoyed it. The first job that came to mind when I thought of science and math was engineering, so that's what I applied for (and was accepted in to).

However, I have always wanted to do something space-related since I was very young. Being an astronomer would be a dream for me because it combines my love of space and math. However, that job requires a phd in astrophysics. I would be willing to do the work to get the degree, but from what I understand it's a VERY unemployable degree. I'd love to have the degree, but if I won't be able to get the job maybe I'd be better off as an engineer. Is it really that difficult to get a job as an astronomer? Or maybe to do research as a physicist?

I would like to be an astronomer more than anything, but unfortunately it seems like engineering is a much more feasible career choice (not that engineering is a bad career by any means). I'd just hate to be sitting at work ten years from now wondering, "what if I had studied physics?"... Any thoughts/advice? Are there any other jobs that involve space that I could look into? Sorry this is long, and thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

This is a question that has been asked numerous times, and my answer is still the same: why not do BOTH?!

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/engineering-or-physics.513102/#post-3397040

There are many areas of physics that have strong engineering components, and there are many areas of engineering that have strong physics components. You can major in physics, and do a LOT of engineering work, or you can major in engineering and do a lot of physics work. You can have your cake and eat it too!

And as Russ said, if you are still "enamored" by astronomy, do it on the side. Or if fate is meant to be, you get your graduate degree in either physics or engineering and able to make a transition into a related field later on. There are MANY things that can happen as you make plans. It is called LIFE!

Zz.

I was just like you in high school: wanting to plan for the PhD and beyond right there and then. Your mind will change so many times, especially as you gain new experiences. In college you'll learn what you like and what you don't like. I entered college convinced that I was going to be a theoretical cosmologist until a year in when I realized that I hate programming and really just wanted to become an astronaut (still do) and learn about the Universe. Then in grad school I realized I wanted something more hands on and action-oriented. Your tastes will change.

I have two astrophysics degrees and I'm employed; don't let that stop you. As astronomer can become an engineer but it's harder for an engineer to become an astronomer without more training. Do what you love and recognize that college is the time to make detailed career decisions, not now. Someone suggested dual-majoring and that's a pretty good idea - best of both worlds! Or chose a major like physics that allows you to straddle both until you decide on which you'd prefer.

1. What are the career options in Physics or Engineering after high school?

There are many career options in Physics and Engineering after high school. Some common options include becoming a research scientist, working in the aerospace industry, becoming an engineer, or pursuing a career in the energy sector. Other career paths include working in healthcare technology, renewable energy, and computer science.

2. What kind of education do I need for a career in Physics or Engineering?

To pursue a career in Physics or Engineering, you will typically need a bachelor's degree in a related field such as Physics, Engineering, or Mathematics. Some positions may require a master's or doctoral degree, depending on the specific job requirements. It is also beneficial to gain hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities during your undergraduate studies.

3. What skills and qualities are important for a career in Physics or Engineering?

To be successful in Physics or Engineering, you will need strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Other important qualities include attention to detail, critical thinking, and strong mathematical abilities. Good communication skills and the ability to work in a team are also important for many positions in these fields.

4. What are some common misconceptions about careers in Physics or Engineering?

One common misconception is that Physics and Engineering careers are only for individuals who excel in math and science. While a strong foundation in these subjects is essential, other skills and qualities, such as creativity and critical thinking, are also important. Another misconception is that these careers are limited to working in a lab or a specific industry, when in reality, there are many diverse career paths available.

5. How do I know if a career in Physics or Engineering is right for me?

If you enjoy problem-solving, have a strong interest in math and science, and are curious about how things work, a career in Physics or Engineering may be a good fit for you. It is also helpful to research different career options and talk to professionals in these fields to gain a better understanding of job responsibilities and daily tasks. Additionally, gaining experience through internships or volunteering can help you determine if a career in Physics or Engineering is right for you.