How Fast Must a Camper Slide to Reach the Shore by Throwing Rocks?

• Thread starter soto2018
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, an adventurous camper is stranded in the middle of a frozen lake with only a bag of rocks. Remembering what they learned in a physics lab, the camper throws the bag of rocks in the opposite direction of the shore with a velocity of 6.0 m/s. Due to the frictionless surface, the camper and rocks continue to move. In order to calculate the time it takes for the camper to reach the shore, the camper uses the equation for the sum of forces in the x-direction and the knowledge of elastic and inelastic collisions. By assuming a constant force and using the masses and velocity of the bag, the camper is able to calculate the velocity of the man and determine the time it takes for them to reach the
soto2018

Homework Statement

An adventurous camper (71 kg) finds him/her self stranded in the middle of a frozen lake (diameter = 1.3 km) with only a bag of rocks (total mass 10.0 kg). The ice is so slippery, that they move about the lake's surface without friction (don't ask me how they got there in the first place). Remembering what they learned in a physics lab, they devise a way to get themselves to the edge of the lake by throwing the bag of rocks in the opposite direction of the shore with a velocity of 6.0 m/s. If they throw the rocks all at once, how long does it take for them to slide to shore?

Homework Equations

The topic of the lab was elastic and inelastic collisions, however this problem doesn't really have to do with the other questions.
Sum of Fx=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it's on a friction-less surface, I know that the sum of the forces in the x direction is equal to ma, and that the velocity is what causes the camper and his rocks to keep moving, however I don't know where to go from there. I've tried using some of the kinematics formulas to try to solve for t, but I can't seem to get it right.

Physics news on Phys.org
soto2018 said:

Homework Statement

An adventurous camper (71 kg) finds him/her self stranded in the middle of a frozen lake (diameter = 1.3 km) with only a bag of rocks (total mass 10.0 kg). The ice is so slippery, that they move about the lake's surface without friction (don't ask me how they got there in the first place). Remembering what they learned in a physics lab, they devise a way to get themselves to the edge of the lake by throwing the bag of rocks in the opposite direction of the shore with a velocity of 6.0 m/s. If they throw the rocks all at once, how long does it take for them to slide to shore?

Homework Equations

The topic of the lab was elastic and inelastic collisions, however this problem doesn't really have to do with the other questions.

Welcome to PF!

If you reverse time it is the usual inelastic collision. :D

When the man throws the bag of ball, he exerts F force at the bag and the bag exerts F force at the man in the opposite direction. There is no external force, so the change of the total momentum of the system man + bag is zero.
During their interaction, the acceleration of bag is abag=F/mbag and the acceleration of the man is aman=-F/mman. The man exerts force on the bag for a very short Δt time. Assuming constant F the velocity of the bag is Vbag=F/mbag Δt and the velocity of the man is Vman=-F/mman Δt , that is Vman mman + Vbag mbag=0. You know the masses and the velocity of the bag. What is the velocity of the man?

1. What is a "Physics Postlab question"?

A "Physics Postlab question" is a question that is typically asked after a laboratory experiment or activity in the field of physics. It is used to assess the understanding and analysis of the experiment and its results.

2. Why are "Physics Postlab questions" important?

"Physics Postlab questions" are important because they help to reinforce the concepts and principles learned during the experiment. They also allow for critical thinking and analysis of the results, which is crucial in the scientific process.

3. How do I approach answering "Physics Postlab questions"?

To answer "Physics Postlab questions", it is important to carefully review and understand the experiment and its results. Utilize any notes or data collected during the experiment, and refer back to any relevant concepts or equations. It may also be helpful to discuss the questions with peers or the instructor.

4. Can "Physics Postlab questions" be subjective?

Yes, "Physics Postlab questions" can sometimes be subjective. This is because they often require interpretation and analysis of the results, which may vary depending on the individual. It is important to support your answers with evidence and reasoning.

5. Are "Physics Postlab questions" graded?

This depends on the specific lab or course. Some instructors may use "Physics Postlab questions" as part of the grading for the experiment, while others may use them as a form of practice or self-assessment. It is important to clarify with the instructor how "Physics Postlab questions" will be used in the course.