Physics Problems on Flash Tv Series

In summary, the conversation discusses the physics of the TV show "The Flash" and how it is based on non-existent physics, which leads to discussions about the laws of physics when they don't hold. It is mentioned that the show often violates laws of physics in order to make the story interesting, and examples from other shows, such as "Star Trek" and "Stargate SG-1" are given. An article discussing the show's portrayal of superhero physics is referenced, noting that it does not resemble actual science. The show's use of "The Speed Force" and inconsistencies in basic physics are mentioned, as well as specific examples from the first and second seasons. It is concluded that the show is entertaining to watch, but should
Mertkan Torun
Hello, i am not sure where to discuss it but here maybe proper for this thread. I just want to discuss about DC's Tv show Flash and physics on it like singularity or parallel universes?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have not seen the show, so I can be wrong, but from experience I can tell you why it won't work.

Show is based on non-existent physics - that is, it is assumed that something works differently than in the real world. That, in turn, means the discussion sooner or later enters the territory of "what are the laws of physics when the laws of physics don't hold?". And the only valid answer is "in such case physics laws are whatever you want them to be". That's not a scientific discussion.

Likes jedishrfu and Mertkan Torun
As Borek says, the physics of the show is whatever the writer wants. Typically a writer will violate only a few laws of physics to make the story interesting.

This is done for two reasons:
- one is that viewers can accept a few violations but if everything can be changed then there's no fun for the viewer to try to predict the action.
- two given that you can't change everything to match some story you must choose wisely to not paint your self into a corner storywise.

As an example, the show Star Trek:
- faster than light travel because we know that planets orbiting other stars are lightyears away and since they wanted to tell stories about them without the crew aging out they needed a boost of warp speed.
- used the transporter device because it took too long to get the crew on/off the planet (45 min show) and cost too much to build the necessary set props (although later they had the shuttlecraft)

In contrast, the Stargate SG-1 show:
- used the stargate (a kind of dialable intergalactic wormhole network to travel from planet to planet)
- later used FTL spaceships and other time travel plot extensions to develop new stories

Here's an article on the Flash and superhero physics:

http://www.techinsider.io/the-flash-superhero-physics-2016-4

Likes hsdrop
I have found almost no science on the Flash that resembles actual science. The very foundation of his ability relies on something called "The Speed Force" which is apparently sentient. Beyond that, even basic physics are inconsistent in the show. For example in one episode he can move so fast that he can travel back in time and even move through dimensions, but in later episodes he has trouble moving fast enough to jump across a small river. He catches bullets in mid air but for some reason the kinetic energy in those bullets doesn't blow his hand apart ect.

Then There are situations where a black hole forms and The show teaches us that he can stop the black hole by running around it in the opposite direction of its spin because if the black hole stops spinning then it will go away for some reason.

these are just a few examples throughout the first and second season. I could go into more but it would involve spoilers. In short the show is ridiculous if you try to apply real physics to it. That being said I have watched both seasons shamelessly. Its fun to watch as long as you put it next to harry potter in your DVD collection.

Likes Rubidium_71 and CalcNerd

1. What is the Flash TV series about?

The Flash is a TV series based on the DC Comics character of the same name, and follows the story of Barry Allen, a forensic scientist who gains superhuman speed after being struck by lightning and becomes a superhero to protect Central City from various villains.

2. Are the physics problems on the Flash TV series realistic?

While the show does take creative liberties and uses fictional concepts, many of the physics problems on the Flash are based on real scientific principles and theories. However, some aspects may be exaggerated or simplified for entertainment purposes.

3. Can someone with super speed actually exist in real life?

At this time, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that humans can develop super speed abilities like the Flash. However, there are ongoing scientific studies and research on the potential for humans to enhance their speed and physical abilities through technology and training.

4. How accurate are the special effects on the Flash TV series?

The special effects used on the Flash are a combination of practical effects and CGI. While they may not be completely accurate, they are designed to be visually appealing and enhance the storytelling of the show.

5. Is it possible to travel through time like the Flash?

The concept of time travel is still a subject of debate and research in the scientific community. While there are theories and possibilities, there is currently no scientific proof that time travel is possible. The Flash's use of time travel is largely based on fictional theories and concepts.