What Condition Ensures Refracted and Incident Rays Have the Same Direction?

In summary: Same direction" means same angle from the normal line. And "same direction in space" means same angle from the normal line, irrespective of normals or planes. So if the speeds are equal, the rays will be parallel.
YMMMA

Homework Statement

[/B]
In order for the refracted ray R to have the same direction in space as the incident ray I, shown above, which of the following conditions by itself would be sufficient? (A) n1=n2 (B) n1=n3 (C) n2=n3 (D) Plane surface P, is parallel to plane surface P2- (E) None of the conditions above would be sufficient by itself.

Homework Equations

Index of refraction = speed of light / speed v

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought same direction means same angle from the normal line ,and for that to happen, their speeds must be equal. I am not sure if that’s correct ,but I answered it E, anyway. Am I right?

Attachments

• 4E07CBFB-D46B-46C2-B698-6D36F5238D3D.jpeg
    4E07CBFB-D46B-46C2-B698-6D36F5238D3D.jpeg
    13.4 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
YMMMA said:
I thought same direction means same angle from the normal line,...
That's correct.

YMMMA said:
and for that to happen, their speeds must be equal.
"Speeds equal" would be n1 = n3. But it's not sufficient. As a simple counterexample, consider a prism in air. The speed of the ray going out is the same as the speed coming in, but the angle is NOT the same.

Why not? Because the normals of the two surfaces are not pointing in the same direction. If the refracted ray is making an angle of 30 degrees with the normal at the n1/n2 surface, and the n2/n3 surface is in a different direction, then it's not making an angle of 30 degrees when it hits that surface. Maybe it's 25 degrees. Maybe it's 50 degrees. And as a result, even if n1 = n3, the outgoing angle is going to be different from the original angle.

Again, think of a prism.

So you also need the condition that the two planes are parallel, choice D. But that's not sufficient on its own either, if the indexes n1 and n3 are different.

YMMMA said:
I am not sure if that’s correct ,but I answered it E, anyway. Am I right?
Yes, because neither (B) nor (D) suffices on its own, but if both are true, the outgoing ray will be parallel to the incoming ray.

Right answer, but I'm not sure if your reasoning was 100% correct.

That’s convincing enough. Thanks for your clarification.

YMMMA said:

Homework Equations

Index of refraction = speed of light / speed v I don't see the relevance of this

which conditions by itself would be sufficient?
(A) n1=n2 ⇒ no deviation at first surface, but could have any deviation at second
(B) n1=n3 ⇒ deviations equal, if surfaces are parallel: not otherwise
(C) n2=n3 ⇒ no deviation at second surface, but could have any deviation at first
(D) Plane surface P, is parallel to plane surface P2- ⇒ no overall deviation only if n1=n3
(E) None of the conditions above would be sufficient by itself.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought same direction means same angle from the normal line , I think "same direction in space" means entry ray is parallel to output ray, irrespective of normals or planes
and for that to happen, their speeds must be equal. speeds will be equal only if n1=n3, but the rays may or may not be parallel

Understood. Thanks a million.

1. What is the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a material slows down the speed of light passing through it. It is calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in the material.

2. How is the index of refraction related to the speed of light?

The index of refraction is inversely proportional to the speed of light. This means that as the index of refraction increases, the speed of light in the material decreases.

3. What factors affect the index of refraction?

The index of refraction of a material is affected by its density, chemical composition, and temperature. Generally, materials with higher densities and higher refractive indices have a larger index of refraction.

4. How is the index of refraction used in everyday life?

The index of refraction is used in many practical applications, such as in lenses for glasses and cameras. It is also used in fiber optics, where the index of refraction of the material surrounding the fiber determines how much light is transmitted through it.

5. What is the difference between the index of refraction and the refractive index?

The index of refraction and the refractive index are two terms used interchangeably to describe the same property. However, some sources use the term index of refraction to refer to the numerical value of the property, while others use refractive index. Both terms refer to the measure of how much a material bends light.