Physics schools and holistic admissions

In summary, it seems that you should be able to achieve success as a physicist without attending a school with holistic admissions. However, if you want to increase your chances of getting into a good school, you should retake the GRE.
Gargantua2015
Hello, I'm new here so forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I have several questions pertaining to the schooling required to become a physicist and the everyday life of a physicist. So my first question is, are there any universities within the United States that have a good physics programs? I have done some research and it seems like the only schools that pop up are schools with holistic admissions. I am also currently enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. So I was wondering if I should even attempt a PhD in physics due to the fact that I will be starting college later than the average joe.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gargantua2015 said:
So my first question is, are there any universities within the United States that have a good physics programs?
Just some of the best i the world
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...-schools/top-science-schools/physics-rankings

Gargantua2015 said:
wondering if I should even attempt a PhD in physics due to the fact that I will be starting college later than the average joe.
It means nothing, do what you love.

Do I need to attend a school with holistic admissions to be successful as a physicist?

Gargantua2015 said:
Do I need to attend a school with holistic admissions to be successful as a physicist?
Of course not. There are many paths to success. What is your problem with holistic admissions anyway?

What do you mean by "holistic admissions", and as opposed to what?

I don't exactly have a problem with holistic admissions. I just don't quite meet the criteria to get admitted to a school that uses holistic admissions.

Gargantua2015 said:
I just don't quite meet the criteria to get admitted to a school that uses holistic admissions.
Why do you say that? The point of HA is that they are flexible.

Surely being in the military counts as a "holistic factor", especially if you've been in any sort of leadership position.

You have to keep in mind that most applicants to "good" colleges still come straight out of high school, so most of the talk about admissions criteria and "extracurricular activities" has them in mind. Older people who have gotten "real world" experience in the military, or running a business, or whatever, have a different set of experiences that they can use to bolster their college applications.

Lol I just realized that holistic admissions places emphasis on considering an applicants other achievements rather than just looking at their GPA and ACT scores. I thought that holistic admissions described schools that looked for 4.0 GPAs and 30 and above ACT scores.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Yeah I'm sure military experience would look good on an application. I suppose I am just concerned that my GPA and ACT scores won't meet their requirements.

Gargantua2015 said:
scores won't meet their requirements.
When I got out, my GRE scores were "stale," and I was asked (not required) to take the GRE again --- it was like shooting qualification in a phone booth --- you can't miss. "Holistic" is an assessment whether you're motivated and capable of following through. Marine? This day and age? When you could have quit any time you wanted and "good riddance?" You're motivated.

Yeah I suppose I never looked at it like that. Thanks for all the info guys!

Related to Physics schools and holistic admissions

1. What is a "holistic" admissions process for physics schools?

A holistic admissions process takes into account not just an applicant's academic achievements, but also their personal qualities, experiences, and potential for success in the field of physics. This approach recognizes that a student's potential cannot be solely measured by their grades or test scores.

2. How do physics schools evaluate applicants holistically?

Physics schools may evaluate applicants holistically by looking at factors such as personal statements, letters of recommendation, extracurricular activities, and relevant work or research experience. They may also consider an applicant's background, diversity, and potential for leadership or contribution to the field.

3. Are there specific qualities or experiences that physics schools look for in applicants?

While each physics school may have their own unique criteria, some common qualities or experiences that they may look for in applicants include a strong passion for physics, critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, research experience, and a strong academic background in math and science.

4. Can a lower GPA or test score affect my chances of getting into a physics school with holistic admissions?

While grades and test scores are still important factors in the admissions process, a lower GPA or test score may not necessarily disqualify an applicant from being accepted into a physics school with a holistic admissions process. Other factors, such as personal qualities and experiences, may also be taken into consideration.

5. How can I prepare for a holistic admissions process for physics schools?

To prepare for a holistic admissions process, it is important to focus on not just your academic achievements, but also your personal qualities and experiences. This can include participating in relevant extracurricular activities, gaining research experience, and showcasing your passion for physics through your personal statement and letters of recommendation.