Physics Summer classes for kids

In summary, the author is looking for ideas to do physics demos with kids for a summer camp. Some of the ideas that they have already thought of include a paper airplane building contest, electricity, a air hover cart, and show how the seasons work. They would also like ideas for demos that involve pressure, vacuum, and the card on a cup trick.
d_hilchie
I am looking for any ideas to do for demos or fun physics demos to do with kids for a summer camp. I need ten lessons in total and I would like to involve the kids with activities as much as possible. kids are from about 6 to 14 and classes are 30 to 45 mins and i get two 1.5 hr demos.

Some ideas that I have already thought about:

1)A paper airplane building contest. Teach them about drag, lift, forces ect. whoever builds the best airplane that goes the farthest wins ( we will be throwing them off a balcony )

2)electricity : we have a pencil that has a battery attached to it and make a sound depending on how far you are from the start of the circuit that you made with the pencil. also may have a vandergraph generator there as well . i plan on giving the pencil away at the end :)

3)we have a air hover cart that you can sit on and show Newton's laws. throw a heavy ball while sitting on it ect...

4)show how the seasons work: shine a flash light on a piece of paper with the two perpendicular to each other and trace the outline that the light makes. tilt the piece of paper then trace the bigger area and explain. same amount of light over bigger area. maybe at the same time show how the phases of the moon work with the light and holding a ping pong ball on a spinning chair and looking at the ball (moon) while spinning in the chair.

5)we might have a bottle rocket already made that i might use. explain pressure and maybe explain vacuum's with boiling a pop can with a little water in the bottom then crushing it by putting it upside-down in water. and also the card on a cup trick where the water doesn't fall out

Any other ideas would be appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You ought to send a message to WannabeNewton. He's a brilliant youngster who hangs out in Special and General Relativity. He would probably know some good methods to teach physics to young people.

What are "Physics Summer Classes for Kids"?

"Physics Summer Classes for Kids" are educational programs designed specifically for children during the summer months. These classes focus on teaching the basic concepts of physics in a fun and engaging way.

What age group are these classes suitable for?

These classes are typically suitable for children between the ages of 8-14 years old. However, some programs may have specific age requirements so it is best to check with the program provider.

What can children learn in these classes?

Children can learn a variety of topics in these classes including basic laws of motion, forces, energy, electricity, and more. These classes aim to introduce children to the fundamental principles of physics through hands-on experiments and activities.

Do children need any prior knowledge or experience in physics to join these classes?

No, these classes are designed for children with little to no prior knowledge or experience in physics. These classes are meant to be introductory and aim to spark interest and curiosity in children about the subject.

How can I find "Physics Summer Classes for Kids" in my area?

You can search for "Physics Summer Classes for Kids" in your area online or check with local schools, community centers, or science museums. You can also contact universities or organizations that offer summer programs for children to see if they have any physics classes available.