Physics tangential speed of a ceiling fan

In summary: Soaresultant = √(aradial2 + atang2)should be √(2.5182 + 0.362) = 2.520 m/s2Note that the tangential acceleration is much smaller than the centripetal (radial) acceleration. This is because the velocity is mostly in the tangential direction, and as the blade rotates, it keeps going in that direction, so the change in direction is small, and the tangential acceleration is small.So, in summary, the tangential speed of a point on the tip of the blade at t = 0.201 s is 0.952 m/s, and the magnitude of the resultant acceleration is 2.520
lina29
An electric ceiling fan with blades of diameter 0.720 m is rotating about a fixed axis with an initial angular velocity of 0.240 rev/s. The angular acceleration is 0.899 rev/s^2.

C- What is the tangential speed of a point on the tip of the blade at time t = 0.201 s?

D- What is the magnitude of the resultant acceleration of a point on the tip of the blade at time t = 0.201 s?

I am currently stuck on part c. I though in order to find the tangential speed I would use v=rw which would be (.720/2)(.240)(2pi)=.543

However, it says the answer is incorrect

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is that you're using the original ω at t = 0. But the rotation speed is not constant, due to the angular acceleration. It is increasing. First you need to figure out what ω is at t = 0.201 s, and then use v = ωr.

For c I got .952 which was correct.

For part d I know I need to find the sqrt of the centripetal acceleration^2 + tangential acceleration^2

For centripetal acceleration I use the tangential speed^2/R->(.952)^2/.36=2.518

For tangential acceleration I use the radius^angular acceleration->.36^.899=.399

so the sqrt of 2.518^2+.399^2=2.549

Would that be correct?
I'm on my last attempt so I'd like to be positive before I put it in

Umm, no, for the tangential acceleration, it should be:

atang = rα

where α is the angular/rotational acceleration.

Hence (atang)2 = r2α2

Your expression for the centripetal (a.k.a radial) acceleration looks fine.

I would like to clarify that the tangential speed of a point on the tip of the blade is not constant and varies with time. Therefore, in order to find the tangential speed at a specific time t = 0.201 s, we need to use the equation v = rω, where r is the radius of the blade and ω is the angular velocity at that specific time.

Using the given values, we can calculate the tangential speed at t = 0.201 s as v = (0.720/2)(0.240 rev/s)(2π) = 0.544 m/s. Therefore, the tangential speed of the point on the tip of the blade at t = 0.201 s is 0.544 m/s.

For part D, we need to find the magnitude of the resultant acceleration of a point on the tip of the blade at time t = 0.201 s. This can be calculated using the formula a = rα, where r is the radius of the blade and α is the angular acceleration at that specific time.

Substituting the given values, we get a = (0.720/2)(0.899 rev/s^2) = 0.323 m/s^2. Therefore, the magnitude of the resultant acceleration of a point on the tip of the blade at t = 0.201 s is 0.323 m/s^2.

I hope this helps clarify the confusion and provides the correct answers for parts C and D. Remember, as scientists, it is important to use the correct equations and units in order to obtain accurate results.

1. What is tangential speed in physics?

Tangential speed is the speed at which an object moves along a circular path. It is measured as the distance traveled per unit of time along the tangent of the circle at any given point.

2. How do you calculate tangential speed?

Tangential speed can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled along the circular path by the time it takes to travel that distance. It is also equal to the product of the radius and angular speed of the object.

3. Is tangential speed the same as linear speed?

No, tangential speed and linear speed are not the same. Linear speed is the distance traveled per unit of time in a straight line, while tangential speed is the distance traveled per unit of time along a circular path.

4. How does the tangential speed of a ceiling fan affect air flow?

The tangential speed of a ceiling fan affects the air flow by creating a difference in air pressure. As the fan blades rotate at high tangential speeds, they push air downwards, creating a low pressure area above the fan and a high pressure area below. This difference in air pressure creates air flow.

5. Can the tangential speed of a ceiling fan be changed?

Yes, the tangential speed of a ceiling fan can be changed by adjusting the speed settings on the fan or by physically changing the length or angle of the fan blades. However, it is important to note that changing the tangential speed of the fan can also affect the fan's efficiency and air flow.