Physics textbook with lots of medicine-related examples

In summary, this person is looking for a textbook that is focused on the basics of Physics (mostly Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism) but with a lot of examples from medicine. They have tried Kane & Sternheim's Physics but it does not have a lot of examples with a focus on medicine. They have also looked at Benedek and Villars and it seems promising.
Mahavir
Hello everyone,

So, I'm about to start a medical degree and one of the core courses involves Physics with a very heavy focus on medicine-related coursework. There isn't a core textbook as of yet but I'm trying to find a textbook that is primarily focused on the basics of Physics (mostly, Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism) but that has a lot of examples from medicine (e.g. Biomechanics, etc...)

I know this seems a bit of a left-field question but I'm crossing my fingers someone may have an idea.

I've tried Kane & Sternheim's Physics but there aren't many examples in there with a focus on medicine.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked at Benedek and Villars?

Likes berkeman and Mahavir
Vanadium 50 said:
Have you looked at Benedek and Villars?

Wow, thank you so much! I'll try and borrow it from my local medical school library and revert with some feedback but so far it looks very promising indeed. Thank you again.

One of the classes I taught is a General Physics course for Life Sciences and Pre-Med students. The course is designed to emphasize a lot of applications relevant to those students. We use "College Physics" by Giambattista, Richardson, Richardson. The book focuses on a lot of applications in Medicine, biomedicine, biology, and chemistry. In the Problems section, they even reprinted MCAT review questions that are relevant to a particular chapter or topic.

Zz.

Likes berkeman and Mahavir
ZapperZ said:
One of the classes I taught is a General Physics course for Life Sciences and Pre-Med students. The course is designed to emphasize a lot of applications relevant to those students. We use "College Physics" by Giambattista, Richardson, Richardson. The book focuses on a lot of applications in Medicine, biomedicine, biology, and chemistry. In the Problems section, they even reprinted MCAT review questions that are relevant to a particular chapter or topic.

Zz.

Oh, fabulous! I'll have a look at this resource as well. Thank you so much!

1. What is the purpose of a physics textbook with medicine-related examples?

A physics textbook with medicine-related examples serves to bridge the gap between physics and medicine, showing how the principles of physics apply to medical concepts and applications. It also helps students understand the practical applications of physics in the field of medicine.

2. What types of medicine-related examples can be found in a physics textbook?

A physics textbook with medicine-related examples can contain a wide range of examples, such as the physics behind medical imaging technologies like X-rays and MRI machines, the principles of fluid dynamics in blood flow, and the mechanics of muscle movement in the human body.

3. How can a physics textbook with medicine-related examples benefit students pursuing a career in medicine?

Studying physics through medicine-related examples can give students a better understanding of the fundamental concepts of physics and how they apply to real-world medical situations. This can help students make connections between seemingly unrelated subjects and prepare them for a career in medicine.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a physics textbook with medicine-related examples?

One potential drawback is that the textbook may not cover all of the necessary physics concepts in depth, as it may focus more on their application in medicine. This could make it more challenging for students to grasp the core principles of physics if they do not have a strong foundation in the subject.

5. How can a physics textbook with medicine-related examples be useful for students not pursuing a career in medicine?

Even for students who are not interested in pursuing a career in medicine, a physics textbook with medicine-related examples can still be beneficial. It can provide a unique perspective on physics and its practical applications, making the subject more interesting and relevant to a wider range of students.