Textbooks on Optics: Alternatives to Hetch-Zajac's "Optics"

In summary, the author recommends two books - one that is heavy and verbose, and one that is scattered and difficult to understand. The first book is better for learning about interference and diffraction, while the second is better for learning about Fourier transforms.
Sokolov
I'm looking for an alternative textbook to the Hetch-Zajac's one. I am a physics undergraduate student, and this is the recommended book for the subject, so I would like to find a book that covers more or less the same topics.

There are two main problems I find at Hetch:
  1. Firstly, its extreme verbosity, which often makes it very heavy to read. It tends to wander off and get lost in the details.
  2. On the other hand, and especially, I find annoying how scattered is all the information it includes. A greater synthesis of the information would help a lot to assimilate the contents. A couple of tables summarizing the main formulas, for example, would be welcome.
I am particularly interested in themes 9, 10, 12 and 13 of the fifth edition: interference, diffraction, coherence and modern optics.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I had the exact same impression of Hecht's book when I was a student. Here are some recommendations - pick which ever work for you or are available.

Pohl's Introduction to Physics: Volume 2: Electrodynamics and Optics by Pohl (& Pohl)
Modern Optics by Robert D. Guenther
Handbook of Optics Volume 1 of 3rd edition
Introduction to Statistical Optics by Edward L. O'Neill
Introduction to Nonlinear Optics by Geoffrey New

Likes Sokolov
Of course there's also the all-time classic by Born and Wolf.

Likes PhDeezNutz and Sokolov
If this is your first foray into optics, Born and Wolf isn't the book to learn from.

Born and Wolf might be the hardest book to read I ever had. There's good stuff in there, but it's better as a reference when all else has failed, IMO.

If you really want to learn about diffraction and interference, I would go with Goodman's Fourier Optics book.

DaveE said:
Born and Wolf might be the hardest book to read I ever had. There's good stuff in there, but it's better as a reference when all else has failed, IMO.

If you really want to learn about diffraction and interference, I would go with Goodman's Fourier Optics book.
Before reading Goodman's book, read and work through Gaskill's book on Linear Systems and Optics, unless you have a very strong linear systems background.

Likes deskswirl, Sokolov and DaveE
Hecht and Zajac were my professors in graduate school - they're both as scatterbrained as the book is!

• Haha
Likes berkeman
DaveE said:
I never really understood Fourier Optics until I read Voelz's Computational Fourier Optics.

alantheastronomer said:
Hecht and Zajac were my professors in graduate school - they're both as scatterbrained as the book is!
But an excellent, comprehensive and comprehensible discussion of interference and diffraction and Fourier transforms can be found in "Vibrations and Waves" by A.P. French MIT Press...

Likes PhDeezNutz
A free alternative is available here:

https://optics.byu.edu/textbook

I'm an author of the book, so I can't give unbiased assessment of the material (but I have no financial interest as we allow free use). We try to give clear derivations and examples and regularly update the book. It has a math review at the beginning, and is targeted at a senior undergraduate level.

M. Ware

Likes robphy and andresB

1. What is the main difference between Hetch-Zajac's "Optics" and other textbooks on optics?

The main difference is in the approach and level of detail. Hetch-Zajac's "Optics" is a comprehensive and in-depth textbook that covers all aspects of optics, while other textbooks may focus on specific topics or provide a more simplified overview.

2. Are there any notable alternative textbooks on optics besides Hetch-Zajac's "Optics"?

Yes, there are several alternative textbooks on optics that are widely used in universities and research institutions. Some examples include "Fundamentals of Optics" by Francis A. Jenkins and Harvey E. White, "Introduction to Optics" by Frank L. Pedrotti and Leno M. Pedrotti, and "Optics" by Eugene Hecht.

3. What level of mathematics is required for understanding these alternative textbooks on optics?

Most alternative textbooks on optics require a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra. Some may also require knowledge of differential equations and vector calculus. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of these mathematical concepts before delving into these textbooks.

4. Are there any online resources or supplementary materials available for these alternative textbooks on optics?

Yes, many alternative textbooks on optics have online resources and supplementary materials such as lecture slides, problem sets, and interactive simulations. These can be helpful for further understanding and practice.

5. Can these alternative textbooks on optics be used for self-study or are they better suited for classroom use?

While classroom use is recommended for a more comprehensive understanding, many of these alternative textbooks on optics can also be used for self-study. However, it is important to have a strong understanding of the mathematical concepts and to seek additional resources or guidance if needed.