Pickleball Physics -- Player reaction time vs aging

In summary, the conversation discusses the speed and reaction time of professional pickleball players, as well as the decline in reaction time with age. The average trip time for a ball to travel 14 feet is 363 milliseconds, giving pros about 213 milliseconds to move their paddle to strike. The conversation also mentions the idea of videotaping oneself playing pickleball and the impressive reaction speed of Bruce Lee. Lastly, there is a comparison of the speaker's reaction time to that of Bruce Lee's.
tjmoorpark
TL;DR Summary
I need someone to review my treatment of how aging affects reaction time in Pickleball. I've included links to videos, and a reaction time vs aging resource.
Out of curiosity, how fast are the hands of the pros? I have timed an exchange between BJ/ALW and JD/JI that occurred at the Baird PPA in September 2022. The ball made the (about) 14 foot trip 11 times over 4.0 seconds, for an average trip time of 363mS (milliseconds). (Average speed of 26.3 mph).

Also, the fastest possible human visual reaction time is 150mS . So the pros have 363-150 = 213mS of movement time, or about 1/5 of a second to move their paddle to strike at the proper location.

How am I doing? The literature varies, so let's use a 4mS decline per year after age of 24.
In my case the decline is 4x(68-24) = 176mS. So I have 363-150-176 = 37mS to move my paddle when a pro blasts it at me. I can move my paddle, from a dead stop, about one-half inch by the time the ball gets to me.
https://gofullbuild.com/post/how-much-does-reaction-time-declines-with-age/

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not videotape yourself playing? It seems that you have some lead time when your eyes spot the pickle ball being hit and then tracking the ball and getting your paddle in position.

Do you know the speed of a pickleball?

Your mentioning of reaction time, reminds me of the Bruce Lee stories and his incredible reaction speed. He was able to anticipate and counter an opponents action faster than the camera could capture.

I am rather old and can stop a falling ruler in about 10 cm. From s=0.5 a t^2 we find that t is 141 ms. My theoretical reaction time from Post #1 should, however, be 366 ms. At that rate I would take 67cm to stop the ruler, which is definitely incorrect.

1. What is pickleball physics?

Pickleball physics is the study of the physical principles and laws that govern the game of pickleball. This includes factors such as player reaction time, ball trajectory, and the effects of aging on performance.

2. How does player reaction time affect pickleball performance?

Player reaction time is a crucial factor in pickleball performance. The faster a player can react to the ball, the more likely they are to make a successful shot. As we age, our reaction time tends to slow down, which can impact our ability to play pickleball effectively.

3. Does aging affect pickleball performance?

Yes, aging can have a significant impact on pickleball performance. As we age, our physical abilities, such as strength, agility, and reaction time, tend to decline. This can result in a decrease in overall performance and may require players to adjust their strategies and techniques to compensate for these changes.

4. What are some ways to improve reaction time in pickleball?

There are several ways to improve reaction time in pickleball, including regular practice, staying physically fit, and using specific drills and exercises to train reaction time. Additionally, maintaining a healthy diet and getting enough rest can also contribute to improved reaction time.

5. Are there any other factors besides aging that can affect reaction time in pickleball?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect reaction time in pickleball. These include factors such as fatigue, distractions, and the speed and trajectory of the ball. Additionally, individual differences in hand-eye coordination and motor skills can also impact reaction time.

Back