Piezoelectric crystal energy restoration

In summary, a piezoelectric tile can store energy in the form of stress and electrical energy when deformed by a force. Removing the force will cause the tile to deform back by a certain distance, but the stress energy will still be present. When the force is applied again, the additional energy will be stored in the form of stress energy, mechanical energy, or a combination of both. The removal of electrical energy while the force is still acting will cause the tile to oscillate mechanically. This process can be mathematically described as the force causing a displacement and the energy being stored as Fs, with some of it being converted into electrical energy (kFs) while the force is still acting.
smak64
Let's say that I deform some piezoelectric tile and the energy(Fs here) is stored in form of some stress energy and some electrical energy(distribution of the centres of charges looking as a capacitor).
Now I remove the force and then remove the electrical energy somehow so by the inverse piezo effect the tile deforms back by some distance (say d) but the stress energy is still present( s-d displacement is still there)
Later I put the force again and deform it by the same total amount s, so will the additional energy ( F.(s-d)) be stored completely in form of stress energy, completely in form of mechanical energy or in the form of some mechanical and some electrical energy

I would really appreciate if you could give me some visualization on the microscopic aspects of this process

Physics news on Phys.org
When the force is removed, the crystal will oscillate mechanically. It is not a static situation.

tech99 said:
When the force is removed, the crystal will oscillate mechanically. It is not a static situation.
In the setting described by smak64, if the electrical energy was removed while the force was still acting on the material (and thereby a stress caused by the force was exerted on the material), how would the piezoelectric tile respond ?
To mathematically state : Force F caused a displacement s energy stored Fs. Some energy converted into Electrical given by (kFs) 0<k<1, This electrical energy was extracted while the force was acting. How would the tile respond ?

Yeah, AP9 describes it correctly. I messed up some sentences

1. What is a piezoelectric crystal?

A piezoelectric crystal is a type of material that can convert mechanical energy into electrical energy, and vice versa. This means that when the crystal is subjected to pressure or vibration, it produces an electrical charge, and when an electrical charge is applied to the crystal, it vibrates or deforms.

2. How does piezoelectric crystal energy restoration work?

Piezoelectric crystal energy restoration involves using the natural properties of piezoelectric crystals to convert mechanical energy from vibrations or pressure into electrical energy. This electrical energy can then be stored and used to power devices or systems.

3. What are the benefits of piezoelectric crystal energy restoration?

One of the main benefits of piezoelectric crystal energy restoration is its ability to convert energy from sources that may otherwise go to waste, such as vibrations from machinery or human movement. Additionally, piezoelectric crystals are highly efficient and have a long lifespan, making them a sustainable and cost-effective energy source.

4. What are some common applications of piezoelectric crystal energy restoration?

Piezoelectric crystal energy restoration has a wide range of applications, including in sensors, actuators, energy harvesting, and medical devices. It is also commonly used in everyday products such as lighters, buzzers, and pressure sensors.

5. Are there any limitations to piezoelectric crystal energy restoration?

While piezoelectric crystal energy restoration has many benefits, there are also some limitations. These include the relatively small amount of energy that can be harvested from each crystal, as well as the need for a constant source of vibration or pressure to generate electricity. Additionally, the cost of producing and implementing piezoelectric crystals may be prohibitive for some applications.