Piezoelectric Quartz with Pressurized Mercury Vortex

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of creating a constant vortex by placing a quartz crystal and mercury in a sealed cylinder and applying pressure. The idea is that the mechanical force of the pressure on the crystal could cause a piezoelectric effect, rotating the mercury and generating electricity. However, it is mentioned that this may not be considered constant pressure due to the movement of the mercury. The requirements for the mercury vortex and the voltage/current output of the crystal are also brought up.
knuxyl
I am curious if it would be possible to put a quartz crystal at the bottom of strong cylinder vial with half the crystal hanging out the bottom (but sealed) and have mercury on top of it and then pressurized if it would create a constant vortex? If the mechanical force of the pressure from the mercury causes a piezoelectric effect on the crystal, would it rotate the mercury and continue to create electricity from the crystal? I am not sure voltage/current outputs of the crystal or requirements for the mercury vortex so just use best case scenario.

I don't think this would be considered constant pressure if the mercury was constantly moving. I'm sure it would create fluctuations in the pressure so in theory I think it would continue to create electricity. The mercury might need to be jump started with an emf of some sort, but I'm curious what other's thoughts are on this. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
We do not discuss perpetual motion machines on PF. Please refer to the rules

What is piezoelectric quartz with pressurized mercury vortex?

Piezoelectric quartz with pressurized mercury vortex is a type of material that exhibits the piezoelectric effect, meaning it can generate an electric charge when mechanical stress is applied to it. This material is made up of quartz crystals and pressurized mercury, which creates a vortex-like structure within the crystals.

How does piezoelectric quartz with pressurized mercury vortex work?

The piezoelectric effect in this material is caused by the movement of the pressurized mercury within the quartz crystals. When mechanical stress is applied, the mercury moves and creates a vortex, which generates an electric charge. This charge can then be harnessed for various applications.

What are the applications of piezoelectric quartz with pressurized mercury vortex?

This material has a wide range of applications, including in sensors, transducers, and energy harvesting devices. It can also be used in medical devices, such as ultrasound machines, and in consumer electronics, such as touch screens and speakers.

What are the advantages of using piezoelectric quartz with pressurized mercury vortex?

One major advantage of this material is its high sensitivity to mechanical stress, meaning it can generate a strong electric charge with even small amounts of stress. It also has a wide frequency response, making it useful for a variety of applications.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using piezoelectric quartz with pressurized mercury vortex?

One limitation of this material is that it requires a high level of precision in its manufacturing process. It is also sensitive to temperature changes, which can affect its performance. Additionally, the use of mercury in this material raises environmental concerns.