Gas in mercury manometer, finding its normal volume

In summary, the question involves a gas in a sealed off end of a mercury manometer U-tube at 30 degrees Celsius and a volume of 50 cubic centimeters. The mercury level difference between the closed and open ends is 10 cm. The barometer shows a pressure of 75 mmHg, which seems to be incorrect as it is significantly smaller than average atmospheric pressure. The question may refer to the volume of gas at NTP (normal temperature and pressure).
plain stupid
Homework Statement
At the top of the sealed off end of a mercury manometer U-tube there's a gas: at 30 degrees Celsius, its volume is 50 cubic centimeters. The mercury level is 10 cm lower in the closed end than in the open end of the tube. The barometer shows a pressure of 75 mmHg. Find the normal volume of the gas.
Relevant Equations
pV = nRT,
p = ρgh
Some notation:
- the difference between the heights of mercury, which is effectively the height of the mercury in the open end of the tube is ##h_{diff}##
- the volume of gas inside the sealed off end is ##V_{inside}##
- the volume of gas when let outside, "normal volume", is ##V_{outside}##
- the amount of the gas in moles is ##n##
- the temperature of gas is ##T##
- the pressure measured by the barometer is ##p_{outside}##
- the density of mercury is ##\rho##
- the mercury level in the barometer (measuring outside pressure, I assume) is ##h_{barometer}##

The pressure of the gas in the sealed off end should be balanced by the pressure of the mercury level difference in the open end + the pressure the barometer's showing (outside pressure):

$$\frac{nRT}{V_{inside}} = \rho g \left(h_{diff}+h_{barometer}\right)$$

From this I get the amount of substance ##n## as
$$n = \frac{\rho g \left(h_{diff}+h_{barometer}\right) V_{inside} }{RT}$$

I'm not sure what "normal volume" is, but I assume it just means outside of the tube, at the same temperature, i.e. ##T = 30^\circ C##:

$$V_{outside} = \frac{nRT}{p_{outside}} = \frac{\frac{\rho g \left(h_{diff}+h_{barometer}\right) V_{inside} }{RT} \cdot RT}{\rho g h_{barometer}} $$
$$V_{outside} = \frac{\left(h_{diff}+h_{barometer}\right) V_{inside}}{h_{barometer}}$$

This gives me the wrong result. The correct result is around ##50.4 ~ cm^3##, and I get ##56.67##, so... I'm missing something again. I think my main idea is correct (the first two equations), but at the end I assume that in order to get this "normal" volume of the gas, it should be outside the tube, and its pressure should be equal to the outside pressure, so that's why I plug that into the formula.

I'd appreciate any hints you might throw at me.

Physics news on Phys.org
plain stupid said:
the volume of gas when let outside, "normal volume"
I think "normal volume" means volume at NTP.

Likes Steve4Physics
plain stupid said:
Homework Statement:: At the top of the sealed off end of a mercury manometer U-tube there's a gas: at 30 degrees Celsius, its volume is 50 cubic centimeters. The mercury level is 10 cm lower in the closed end than in the open end of the tube. The barometer shows a pressure of 75 mmHg.

I think @haruspex is correct about 'NTP'. Presumably you have now looked-up 'NTP'.

Are you sure you have the question correct? The pressure shown on the barometer (75mmHg) is presumably the pressure outside the manometer. But 75mmHg is more than 10 times smaller than average atmospheric pressure. Sounds suspicious.

1. How does a mercury manometer measure gas volume?

A mercury manometer measures gas volume by using the pressure of the gas to push mercury up a tube. The height of the mercury in the tube is directly proportional to the pressure of the gas.

2. What is the normal volume of gas in a mercury manometer?

The normal volume of gas in a mercury manometer depends on the length and diameter of the tube, as well as the atmospheric pressure. It is typically around 760 mmHg.

3. How do you find the normal volume of gas in a mercury manometer?

To find the normal volume of gas in a mercury manometer, you first need to measure the length and diameter of the tube. Then, you can use the equation P = hρg, where P is the pressure of the gas, h is the height of the mercury, ρ is the density of mercury, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. By rearranging the equation to solve for volume, you can find the normal gas volume.

4. What factors can affect the normal volume of gas in a mercury manometer?

The normal volume of gas in a mercury manometer can be affected by changes in atmospheric pressure, temperature, and the density of the gas being measured. It can also be affected by any leaks or blockages in the tube.

5. How accurate is a mercury manometer in measuring gas volume?

A mercury manometer is considered to be a highly accurate method for measuring gas volume. However, it is important to ensure that the tube is properly calibrated and there are no leaks or blockages in order to maintain accuracy.