Piezoelectric strain rate and frequency of applied voltage

In summary, applying 60 Hz AC to a piezoelectric material would cause it to expand and contract at a slightly lower frequency due to lag caused by material properties. When a voltage is applied to a piezoelectric material and then removed, it will return to its original geometry at a rate proportional to the frequency at which it was applied. The biggest distortion occurs at the resonance frequency of the piezo, and data on this can be found from the manufacturer. Additional information on piezoelectricity and piezoelectric materials can be found at the provided links.
gm3
If one were to apply, for example, 60 Hz AC to a piezoelectric material, would the strain rate be 60 Hz?

I am not entirely sure if I am using "strain rate" in its proper sense; I use it merely to describe what I imagine would be the rate at which the material expands and contracts while exposed to an AC source.

I assume there is some lag, depending on the material properties... I.e. 60 Hz AC applied would lead to the piezo oscillating at slightly less than 60 Hz. However, I cannot find any information on this and have a very limited knowledge of piezoelectrics.

Edit: I forgot to ask: If one were to apply a voltage to a piezoelectric momentarily and then remove the source, at what rate would the piezo return to its natural geometry?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes gm3
scanvas said:
when the responding frequency is fixed, the delay applies to the phase. A rate is a proportion of a distortion in size in % and depends on the apllied frequency. The biggest distortion is on the resonance frequency of the piezo. Data are provided by the manufacturer.

The piezo returns fully to the initial dimension

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/piezoelectricity.html
https://www.ceramtec.com/ceramic-materials/piezo-ceramics/basics/
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=piezo+basics
Thank you!

What is piezoelectric strain rate and how is it related to the frequency of applied voltage?

Piezoelectric strain rate refers to the amount of deformation or strain that a piezoelectric material undergoes when an electric field is applied to it. This strain rate is directly related to the frequency of the applied voltage, as a higher frequency will result in a higher strain rate and vice versa.

What factors affect the piezoelectric strain rate and frequency of applied voltage?

The piezoelectric strain rate and frequency of applied voltage can be affected by several factors, including the properties of the piezoelectric material, the magnitude of the applied voltage, and the geometry of the material. Additionally, temperature and mechanical stress can also have an impact on these parameters.

How is the piezoelectric strain rate and frequency of applied voltage measured?

The piezoelectric strain rate and frequency of applied voltage can be measured using specialized equipment such as strain gauges, oscilloscopes, and frequency generators. These instruments can accurately measure the strain and voltage signals and provide data on the strain rate and frequency.

Can the piezoelectric strain rate and frequency of applied voltage be controlled?

Yes, the piezoelectric strain rate and frequency of applied voltage can be controlled by adjusting the magnitude and frequency of the applied voltage. Additionally, the properties of the piezoelectric material can also be modified to alter the strain rate and frequency.

What are the practical applications of understanding piezoelectric strain rate and frequency of applied voltage?

Understanding the relationship between piezoelectric strain rate and frequency of applied voltage is essential for many practical applications, such as in sensors, actuators, and energy harvesting devices. This knowledge can also be applied in industries such as aerospace, medical, and automotive for various control and measurement purposes.