Pin and cable supported by a beam

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a uniform beam supported by a pin and cable. The given values for the mass of the beam and other objects, as well as the angle of the beam, are provided. The first question asks how many forces are acting on the beam, and the answer is two. The second question asks for the tension of the cable, which can be found using the equation Ft = Fg x m x g, with the given values. The third and fourth questions ask for the horizontal and vertical components of the force exerted by the wall onto the beam, with the positive direction assumed to be towards the right and upwards, respectively. The relevant equations for solving these questions are provided. The conversation also mentions using
Sunshine:)
: Homework9-7
http://physci.kennesaw.edu/images/hm12-1.gif​
1. A uniform beam of mass m is supported in a horizontal position by a pin and cable as shown in the Figure. Given. m = 20.0 kg ; M1 = 54.0 kg ; M2 = 37.0 kg ; L1 = 2.90 m ; L2 = 5.40 m ; and θ = 43.0°.

a) How many forces are acting on the beam (treat the interaction at the pivot with the wall as 2 forces)?
RIGHT!

b) What is in N the tension of the cable?

c) What is in N, H, the horizontal component of the force exerted by the wall onto the beam? Assume the positive direction points towards the right.

d) What is in N, V, the vertical component of the force exerted by the wall onto the beam? Assume the positive direction points upwards.

Use 10.0 N/kg for g.

2. I believe to find tension I am using Ft=Fg x m x g but maybe I am using the wrong values?

3. I am honestly confused. I counted the forces and got that correct. I am unsure how to solve the other parts??

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the homework template, You are more likely to get help.
What are the relevant equations?

Do you know how to sum moments about a point?

1. What is a pin and cable supported by a beam?

A pin and cable supported by a beam is a structural system used in construction where a beam is supported by pins at either end and a cable is attached to the beam and anchored at both ends. This system allows for the transfer of loads from the beam to the pins and the cable, providing stability and support.

2. How does a pin and cable supported by a beam work?

A pin and cable supported by a beam works by distributing the load placed on the beam to the pins and the cable. The pins act as fixed points of support, while the cable acts as a tension member, helping to resist the force of the load.

3. What are the advantages of using a pin and cable supported by a beam?

There are several advantages to using a pin and cable supported by a beam, including its ability to support heavy loads, its flexibility in design, and its cost-effectiveness. This system also allows for the beam to have a longer span compared to traditional support methods.

4. What types of structures are commonly supported by a pin and cable?

A pin and cable supported by a beam can be used in a variety of structures, including bridges, roofs, and other large span structures. It is also commonly used in suspension bridges, where the cable is used to support the weight of the bridge deck.

5. Are there any limitations to using a pin and cable supported by a beam?

While there are many advantages to using a pin and cable supported by a beam, there are also some limitations. This system is not suitable for structures that require high levels of rigidity or lateral support. It is also not recommended for use in areas with high wind or seismic activity.