Pion Decay Special Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses a beam of pion mesons traveling at a velocity of v/c=0.95 in a tube at the CERN accelerator, and various questions related to this scenario. It includes calculations for the γ factor of the pions, the lifetime of the pions as measured from the laboratory frame, and the number of pions remaining at the end of the beam pipe. It also explores the concept of time dilation and asks for the energy of the pions from the laboratory's perspective. The final question raises some confusion regarding the proper length and time taken for the pions to traverse the tube.
BOAS

Homework Statement

A beam of pion mesons travels down a tube at the CERN accelerator moving at v/c=0.95 with respect to the laboratory.

(i) Compute the γ factor for these pions.

(ii) The pion lifetime is 2.6 × 10−8 s, what is the lifetime measured at the laboratory?

(iii) The pions travel 50 m until they are dumped at the end of the beam pipe. If the beam contained 50000 pions, how many remain at the moment of dumping?

(iv) From the pion’s perspective, how much distance has the laboratory covered before the beam hits it? and how long did it take?

(v) What would be the answers to questions (iii) and (iv) ignoring time dilation?

(vi) What is the energy of these pions from the laboratory’s perspective?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused by question (iii), but i'll show my working up to that point before explaining why I'm confused.

(i) [itex]\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}} = 3.2[/itex]

(ii) The pion lifetime given in the question is the 'proper time' as measured by the pion, [itex]\Delta t' = 2.6 \times 10^{-8}[/itex]s.

As measured from the lab frame, [itex]\Delta t = \gamma \Delta t' = 8.3 \times 10^{-8}[/itex]s

(iii) and now I'm confused... I think the important time for pion decay is the rest frame for the pions. This situation is analagous to the astronaut on a long journey aging at a slower rate than Earth observers.

The question states that the pions travel 50 m, but I'm unsure of this relation to the proper length. The pions are not at rest with respect to the tube, so I think this 50m is the contracted length.

Using 50m and v=0.95c, the time taken to traverse the tube is 1.75x10-7s

Solving the decay equation [itex]N = N_{0}e^{-\frac{t}{\tau}}[/itex] with this value and the 'proper time' for the pion, I find that there are 59 pions at the end.

Part (iv) makes me think I've gone wrong...

Please could somebody take a look?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The 50 m are in the laboratory frame.
The contracted length will be shorter.

1. What is pion decay in special relativity?

Pion decay is a process in which a pion, a type of subatomic particle, transforms into other particles through the weak nuclear force. In special relativity, this process is described by the theory of special relativity, which explains how the laws of physics behave in reference frames that are moving at constant speeds relative to each other.

2. How is special relativity involved in pion decay?

Special relativity plays a crucial role in pion decay because it explains how particles behave at high speeds. Since pion decay involves particles moving at close to the speed of light, special relativity is needed to accurately describe the process and its outcomes.

3. What are the implications of special relativity on pion decay?

The implications of special relativity on pion decay include time dilation, length contraction, and the equivalence of mass and energy. These effects are observed in the decay process and are crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds.

4. How does special relativity explain the decay of pions?

Special relativity explains the decay of pions by accounting for the energy and momentum conservation laws in reference frames moving at different speeds. It also describes how particles can transform into other particles through the weak nuclear force, as observed in pion decay.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying pion decay in special relativity?

The study of pion decay in special relativity has many real-world applications, including the production and detection of high-energy particles in particle accelerators, nuclear reactions, and medical imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET). It also helps scientists better understand the behavior of matter at high speeds, which is essential in fields like astrophysics and cosmology.