Pion Photoproduction Homework: Proton Energy Calculation

• Thread starter Arcturus7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pion
In summary, the problem involves calculating the minimum energy required for a proton to interact with a CMB photon to produce neutral Pi Mesons. Taking into account the definition of 4-Momenta, the Invariant Mass, and the given equation for photon energy, the correct answer is much larger than the initial calculation of 0.776 meV, due to the mixture of energies in different reference frames.
Arcturus7
I have been given the following problem on a homework sheet;

"The CMB has an (almost) uniform temperature of (almost) 3K. If we take the energy of a photon to be E=3kT, what minimum energy must a proton have in order to interact with a CMB photon in order to produce neutral Pi Mesons?"

Homework Equations

I've come at this problem using nothing but the definition of 4-Momenta and the Invariant Mass, plus the given equation for the photon energy.

The Attempt at a Solution

Immediately we can calculate the photon energy to be 7.76 x 10-4eV.

Initially, in the Center of Momentum frame, we have that the sum of the momenta is 0. This leaves us with;

W=EProton+EPhoton

And then after the interaction, since the resultant particles will be at rest (minimum energy is specified in the question) we can conclude that the invariant mass is just the sum of the individual masses;

W=MProton+MPion

By equating the two we conclude that;

EProton=MProton+MPion-EPhoton=1.073GeV

I've heard a lot of classmates say their answers were very different (some many many orders of magnitude larger). I can't really see a flaw in my argument, but that being said, it seems fairly simplistic. What have I missed?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mix energies in different reference frames. In the center of momentum frame, the photon energy won't be 0.776 meV.

The correct answer is many, many orders of magnitude larger.

1. How do you calculate the energy of a proton in pion photoproduction?

In order to calculate the energy of a proton in pion photoproduction, you will need to use the equation E = hf, where E represents energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency of the photon. Additionally, you will need to use the equation p = hf/c, where p represents momentum and c is the speed of light. By solving for E in this equation, you can determine the energy of the proton.

2. What is the relationship between proton energy and pion photoproduction?

The energy of a proton is directly related to pion photoproduction. In order for pion photoproduction to occur, a photon must have enough energy to create a pion and a proton. Therefore, the energy of the proton is dependent on the energy of the photon used in the photoproduction process.

3. How does the energy of a proton affect the pion photoproduction process?

The energy of a proton plays a crucial role in the pion photoproduction process. A higher energy proton will have a greater momentum, which can lead to a more energetic pion being produced. The energy of the proton can also influence the angle at which the proton and pion are emitted.

4. What factors can affect the energy of a proton in pion photoproduction?

There are several factors that can affect the energy of a proton in pion photoproduction. These include the energy of the incoming photon, the material the photon is interacting with, and the angle at which the photon is incident on the material. Additionally, the mass and charge of the proton can also affect its energy.

5. How is the energy of a proton in pion photoproduction experimentally determined?

The energy of a proton in pion photoproduction can be experimentally determined through various methods such as measuring the momentum and angle of the outgoing proton and pion, analyzing the energy spectrum of the particles, or using detectors to measure the energy of the particles. These experimental techniques can provide accurate measurements of the proton's energy in pion photoproduction.