Pioneer 10 Spacecraft travelling in space

In summary, to escape from the solar system, Pioneer 10 would have had to be traveling at a speed of √(2GM/R), where M is the mass of the sun (1.99 x 10^30 kg) and R is the distance from the sun (7.78 x 10^11 m) at Jupiter's orbit. This is the escape velocity of the solar system and does not require the mass of Jupiter.
aeromat

Homework Statement

To escape from the solar system, how fast did the Pioneer 10 have to be traveling as it passed the orbit of Jupiter? Assume the mass of the solar system is essentially concentration in the Sun. The mass of the Sun is 1.99 x 10^30 kg and the radius of Jupiter's orbit is 7.78 x 10^11 m.

Homework Equations

Gravitational Potential Energy
Total Orbital Energy
Kinetic Energy
Escape Velocity
Escape Energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused as to what quantities are relevant in this situation. I know that Jupiter must be used to carry out with escape velocity, but I don't have the mass of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I haven't gotten to this part yet, we just started the chapter concerning this type of problem.
However, looking in the book I found that the escape speed (v) = √(2GM/R)
I don't think you need the mass of Jupiter since you aren't launching from its surface, you're just flying past it's orbit. The key here is that you're finding the escape velocity of the solar system. Also, the problem states that you can assume the solar system's mass is concentrated in the sun, so you can use the M = mass of the sun, and R can be the radius of Jupiter's orbit, (since that's the distance Pioneer 10 is from the sun at this point)

Last edited:
You have the data to substitute and solve in the escape velocity formula (at least for one of the two forms of that equations I know).

If that is not clear to you, I suspect you have the other form or are misinterpreting the variables. Can you post the equation and what the variables mean?

1. How far has the Pioneer 10 spacecraft travelled in space?

The Pioneer 10 spacecraft has travelled approximately 12 billion kilometers since its launch in 1972. It is currently considered to be at the edge of our solar system, near the Kuiper Belt.

2. What was the purpose of the Pioneer 10 spacecraft?

The Pioneer 10 spacecraft was designed to explore the outer regions of our solar system and gather data on the environment and conditions beyond the orbit of Mars. It also carried a plaque with symbols and information about humanity, intended to be a message to any potential extraterrestrial life that may come across it.

3. How long did it take for the Pioneer 10 spacecraft to reach Jupiter?

The Pioneer 10 spacecraft took just over a year to reach Jupiter, reaching the planet in December 1973. It was the first spacecraft to visit the gas giant and provided valuable data and images of the planet and its moons.

4. Is the Pioneer 10 spacecraft still sending signals back to Earth?

No, the last signal from the Pioneer 10 spacecraft was received in 2003. Its power source has depleted and it is no longer able to send signals back to Earth. However, it continues to travel through space and is expected to continue on its trajectory for millions of years.

5. Why was the Pioneer 10 spacecraft eventually shut down?

The Pioneer 10 spacecraft was eventually shut down due to the decreasing power supply and the distance from Earth making communication and data retrieval difficult. It also completed its primary mission and had exceeded all expectations for its longevity, making it no longer necessary to keep it operating.