Why Do Generators Use Coils Instead of Pipes?

Additionally, the design of a generator can greatly affect its energy efficiency. To find the most energy-efficient design for a generator that can be built at home, further research and consultation with experts in the field may be necessary.
Undacuva
Hi,
I understand you can induce an electrical current by passing a magnet through a copper pipe. If so, why do generators (and motors for that matter) use coils in stead? Do coils allow a stronger current or greater efficiency?
Where can I go to find out the most energy-efficient design for a generator I can build at home?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Undacuva said:
I understand you can induce an electrical current by passing a magnet through a copper pipe. If so, why do generators (and motors for that matter) use coils in stead?

There's a couple of significant reasons
a hint for one of them ... what is the difference between a pipe and a wire ?Dave

What is the purpose of a pipe or coil in generators?

A pipe or coil in generators serves as a conduit for the flow of a working fluid, such as steam or water, to transfer energy from the input source to the generator. It is an essential component for converting mechanical energy into electrical energy.

What is the difference between a pipe and a coil in generators?

A pipe is a straight, cylindrical structure used to transport the working fluid, while a coil is a more complex structure that consists of multiple turns and bends. Coils are typically used in smaller generators to increase the surface area for heat transfer and improve efficiency.

How does the design of a pipe or coil affect the efficiency of a generator?

The design of a pipe or coil can significantly impact the efficiency of a generator. A well-designed pipe or coil can optimize the flow of the working fluid and minimize energy losses, resulting in higher efficiency and better performance of the generator.

What materials are commonly used for pipes and coils in generators?

Pipes and coils in generators are typically made from materials that can withstand high temperatures and pressures, such as steel, copper, or alloys. The material chosen depends on the specific requirements of the generator and the working fluid.

Can pipes and coils in generators be replaced or repaired?

Yes, pipes and coils in generators can be replaced or repaired if they become damaged or worn out. However, the process can be challenging and costly, so regular maintenance and proper operation are crucial to prolonging the lifespan of these components.