Piping and Instrumentation Diagram (Question)

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question regarding the meaning of "air flow1/air flow2" in an attached instrumentation diagram and AHU specification tables. The consensus is that it refers to the minimum and maximum airflow values, with some discussion about label conventions. It is also mentioned that it may be related to reduced outdoor air and exhaust when a washer is off.
redux
Hey everyone,

I am an energy modeling engineer, and I would like to ask a question regarding a project I am working on.

In the attached instrumentation diagram (and I also found this on AHU specification tables), what does it mean to have "air flow1/air flow2" (see figure). I deduce it is the "min airflow value/max airflow value", but I would like to be sure about this. Concerning colors, orange is return air, green is outdoor/fresh air supply, blue is primary air and pink is exhaust air.

Thank you all in advance for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

That's a good guestion, but I am unable to zoom that image big enough to read what you are saying. Can you add a post with a close-up of the part of the image showing the label in question?

Likes redux
Thank you, and thank you again for the fast repply.

Thank you. min/max would be my guess also. Wait a while for others to weigh in also.
Label conventions sometimes seem irrational unless you know the underlying thoughts.

Likes redux
redux said:
In the attached instrumentation diagram (and I also found this on AHU specification tables), what does it mean to have "air flow1/air flow2" (see figure). I deduce it is the "min airflow value/max airflow value", but I would like to be sure about this.
That's what it looks like, yes; it's probably reduced outdoor air and exhaust when the washer is off.

Likes redux
Thank you all for the help.

What is a Piping and Instrumentation Diagram (P&ID)?

A Piping and Instrumentation Diagram, also known as a P&ID, is a detailed diagram that shows the piping and instrumentation of a process system. It is used by engineers and technicians to understand the design, operation, and maintenance of the system.

How is a P&ID different from a process flow diagram (PFD)?

A P&ID is more detailed and specific than a PFD. While a PFD shows the general flow of a process, a P&ID includes detailed information about the equipment, instrumentation, and piping used in the process. It also includes information about the control systems and safety features.

What information is typically included in a P&ID?

A P&ID typically includes information about the process equipment, such as pumps, tanks, and valves, as well as the piping and instrumentation used to control and monitor the process. It also includes information about the process flow, pressure, temperature, and other important parameters.

Why are P&IDs important in the engineering and construction of process systems?

P&IDs are important because they provide a detailed and standardized way to communicate the design and operation of a process system. They are used by engineers, technicians, and operators to understand and troubleshoot the system. They also help ensure safety and efficiency in the construction and operation of the system.

How are P&IDs created and maintained?

P&IDs are typically created using computer-aided design (CAD) software. They are maintained by regularly updating them with any changes made to the process system. It is important to keep P&IDs up-to-date to ensure accurate and safe operation of the system.