Piston Pressure and Unit Conversion

In summary, the problem involves finding the area of a piston containing CO2 at a pressure of 30 atm with a piston weight of 57 lbm and a barometric pressure of 29.7 in. Hg. Using relevant equations, the area is calculated to be approximately 0.1347 in2, which is in line with the estimated pressure of 60000 lb/ft2. This suggests that the numerical answer is correct, but the physical implications may be difficult to visualize.
Nim R
Problem:
CO2 is contained in a vertical cylinder at a pressure of 30 atm by a piston with a mass of 57 lbm. If g is 32.4 ft/sec2 and the barometric pressure is 29.7 in. Hg what is the area of the piston?

Relevant equations
F = Ma/gc
W = Mg/gc
P= F/A
gc = 32.174 lbm ft / (lbf sec2)
1 atm = 29.9 in. Hg
1 atm = 2116.217 lbf / ft2

Attempt (4 sig figs)
1)
29.7 in. Hg * 1 atm / (29.9 in. Hg) = 0.9933 atm
2) 30 atm - 0.9933 atm = 29.01 atm * 2116.217 lbf / ft2 / (1 atm) = 61,380 lbf / ft2
3) 61,380 lbf / ft2 = (57 lbm) * (32.4 ft / sec2) / (A * (32.174 lbm ft / (lbf sec2))
4) A = 9.352 x 10-4 ft2 = 0.1347 in2

I feel like this number is way too small. Was the assumption that the force of the piston was only its weight on the gas wrong?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty rusty on these types of problems, but if I take 60 lb and apply it to an area of 0.001 ft2 (which is 0.144 in2), I get a pressure of 60000 lb/ft2. Your number certainly appears to be in the ballpark.

Well good to know my answer numerically makes sense. Intuitively though I don't have a clue what something with those dimensions and strength would look like.

Thanks for the reply!

1. What is piston pressure?

Piston pressure is the force applied by a piston on a fluid or gas in a confined space.

2. How is piston pressure measured?

Piston pressure is typically measured in units of pressure such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

3. What are some common units used to measure piston pressure?

Common units used to measure piston pressure include psi, Pa, atmospheres (atm), and bar.

4. How do you convert units of piston pressure?

To convert units of piston pressure, you can use conversion factors or online unit conversion calculators. For example, to convert psi to Pa, you can use the conversion factor 1 psi = 6894.76 Pa.

5. Why is it important to convert units of piston pressure?

Converting units of piston pressure is important for accurate and consistent communication in scientific research and engineering applications. It also allows for easier comparison and understanding of data from different sources.