Placing a video of a collision b/t the Milky Way and Andromeda Galaxy into a PPT

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in inserting a YouTube video into a PowerPoint presentation for a persuasive speech on space exploration. The teacher requires the use of reliable sources and it is unclear if downloading the video is allowed. Solutions are offered, including using a link to embed the video or inserting a downloaded video into the PowerPoint. The topic of the speech is the importance of continuing space exploration to find another earth-like planet for future generations, but there are concerns about the relevance of discussing the collision of galaxies and the sun becoming a red giant.
Gatvabale

Homework Statement

We are not allowed to use any videos from youtube. They have to be a realiable source. We are having difficulty copying the embeded link to the power point presentation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, we right click on the video to copy it by clicking on the option "Copy embeded html". But when we go to paste it into the power point, another message comes up saying "Power point cannot insert a video from this embeded code. Check to make sure the code is right. Try again."

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. My husband has to give a persuasive speech on Why We Should Continue Space Exploration on Tuesday (7/31/12)

Thank you,
Gatvabale

Physics news on Phys.org
Which version of PowerPoint are you using?
And moreover, are you allowed to download the video and insert it in PPT?

I'm just curious as to why you think a video of the Milky Way colliding with the Andromeda Galaxy is relevant to a discussion on space exploration.

Pranav-Arora, We are using PPT version 2010. Regarding "are you allowed", well, the teacher said he needs to use a power point presentation. He wants to use a video. Do you mean does he have permission from the website? Perhaps you are correct...if he gets permission, then it will work. Perhaps there are websites that allow unlimited usage of their videos or images. Otherwise, you are correct. He would need to contact someone (administrator?) to gain permission. Thank you for your reply. Any further information is helpful.

Phyzguy, The speech is mainly stating that the sun will eventually burn up and that, as the sun loses its mass, it will lose its gravitational effect on Earth thereby allowing Earth to drift. Eventually, when the sun becomes a 'red giant', if Earth is nearby, it will be consumed. The point of the speech is to convice people that, while these events may not take place for millions/billions of years, it is in the best interest of our future offspring to continue space exploration to locate another earth-like planet that will sustain life. Thank you. *I need to add that part of his speech is regarding the collision of the two galaxies destroying our Earth and that, in part, is why he feels that space exploration is important to the future of humanity.

Last edited:
Well, i am not sure about the permissions but i have the solution to both the situations.
If you want to directly insert the youtube videos without having to download them and insert, follow this link: http://www.dvd-ppt-slideshow.com/blog/embed-youtube-video-to-powerpoint-2010/

If you have downloaded the video, make sure its in one of those formats which PowerPoint supports. Go to insert>Video>Video from file. Insert the video from the dialog box. When you give the ppt to your teacher, include the video file in the same folder where you have your PPT.

(I am not sure if the solutions i posted provide backward compatibility, i.e you may experience problems if you run the PPT in PowerPoint 2007.)

Thank you SO much! Your information has been very helpful.

Gatvabale said:
Phyzguy, The speech is mainly stating that the sun will eventually burn up and that, as the sun loses its mass, it will lose its gravitational effect on Earth thereby allowing Earth to drift. Eventually, when the sun becomes a 'red giant', if Earth is nearby, it will be consumed. The point of the speech is to convice people that, while these events may not take place for millions/billions of years, it is in the best interest of our future offspring to continue space exploration to locate another earth-like planet that will sustain life. Thank you. *I need to add that part of his speech is regarding the collision of the two galaxies destroying our Earth and that, in part, is why he feels that space exploration is important to the future of humanity.

I agree that space travel is important to the future of humanity, but this is not a good argument. When the Milky Way and Andromeda "collide", we will probably not even notice, and it will certainly not "destroy the Earth". Galaxies are mostly empty space, and the space between stars is huge, so when two galaxies collide and merge, stars almost never collide. In fact, the Milky Way is currently in the process of merging with several smaller galaxies, including the Sagittarius dwarf galaxy.

Also, when the sun goes Red Giant, it will definitely not lose enough mass for the Earth to be set adrift.

Phyzguy, thanks for your reply. It's all very interesting to me. There is so much to learn! :)

Related to Placing a video of a collision b/t the Milky Way and Andromeda Galaxy into a PPT

1. What is the purpose of placing a video of a collision between the Milky Way and Andromeda Galaxy into a PPT?

The purpose of placing a video of this collision into a PPT is to visually demonstrate the potential outcome of the two galaxies merging, as well as to provide a better understanding of the nature of galaxy collisions.

2. Where can I find a video of the collision between the Milky Way and Andromeda Galaxy?

There are various sources where you can find a video of this collision, such as NASA's official website or YouTube. You can also create your own animation using scientific data and simulations.

3. How can I incorporate the video into my PPT presentation?

You can insert the video into your PPT presentation by going to the Insert tab and selecting "Video" from the Media section. From there, you can choose to insert a video from your computer, online source, or embed code.

4. Can I use the video for educational or commercial purposes?

The usage rights of the video will depend on where you obtained it from. If you are using it for educational purposes, it is best to check the usage rights or contact the source for permission. If you are using it for commercial purposes, it is best to seek permission and potentially obtain a license to use the video.

5. Is there any additional information I should include when presenting the video?

When presenting the video, it is important to provide context and explanation of the collision between the Milky Way and Andromeda Galaxy. This can include information on the galaxies' sizes, distance, and other interesting facts to enhance the understanding of the audience.