Plane EM wave Euler's identity

In summary, EM waves have electric and magnetic components that are in phase, meaning that when the electric field is zero, the magnetic field is also zero. This can be expressed using either real or imaginary numbers, with the latter being a more convenient choice for mathematical manipulations. However, in the end, only the real part of the result is used. This does not imply that the real and imaginary components are not in phase, as both contribute to the overall oscillation of the wave.
Goodver
For EM wave, magnetic and electrical components are in phase, meaning when E = 0, then B = 0.

Thus, I understand if it is written:

f(x,t) = A(cos(kx - wt) + icos(kx - wt))

Then why plane wave is always described:

f(x,t) = Aei(kx-wt) = A(cos(kx-wt) + isin(kx - wt))

Implying that Real and Imaginary components are not in phase, which is not the case?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Electric versus magnetic fields have nothing to do with real versus imaginary numbers. If you have a plane EM wave traveling in the z-direction, with the electric field parallel to the x-axis and the magnetic field parallel to the y-axis, then we have $$\vec E = E_0 \cos (kz - \omega t + \phi_0) \hat x \\
\vec B = B_0 \cos (kz - \omega t + \phi_0) \hat y$$ where the unit vectors ##\hat x## and ##\hat y## give the directions of the fields.

It makes some mathematical manipulations easier if we write the oscillation using a complex exponential instead of an ordinary trig function: $$\vec E = E_0 e^{i(kz - \omega t + \phi_0)} \hat x = E_0 \left[ \cos(kz - \omega t + \phi_0) + i \sin (kz - \omega t + \phi_0) \right] \hat x \\ \vec B = B_0 e^{i(kz - \omega t + \phi_0)} \hat y = B_0 \left[ \cos(kz - \omega t + \phi_0) + i \sin (kz - \omega t + \phi_0) \right] \hat y$$ but in this case it is always understood that in the end we use only the real part of the final result of our calculations.

Likes Goodver

What is Plane EM wave Euler's identity?

Plane EM wave Euler's identity is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields of an electromagnetic wave traveling through space.

Who discovered Plane EM wave Euler's identity?

The identity was first discovered by the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century.

Why is Plane EM wave Euler's identity important?

Plane EM wave Euler's identity is important because it allows us to understand the fundamental nature of electromagnetic waves and how they propagate through space. It also has many practical applications in fields such as telecommunications, electronics, and optics.

How is Plane EM wave Euler's identity used in science?

In science, Plane EM wave Euler's identity is used to calculate the properties of electromagnetic waves, such as their frequency, wavelength, and amplitude. It is also used to analyze and design various devices that use electromagnetic waves, such as antennas and lasers.

Can you explain the components of Plane EM wave Euler's identity?

Plane EM wave Euler's identity consists of three components: the electric field (E), the magnetic field (B), and the speed of light (c). These components are related by the equation E/B = c, which shows that the electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other and are both proportional to the speed of light.