Applying Reisenbach Transf. to EM Wave in Microwave Oven

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of synchronization conventions and its application on a specific case involving electromagnetic waves in a microwave oven. The Reisenbach synchronization transformation is used to transform the electromagnetic field tensor in a new frame, resulting in a standing wave with nodes at the same position but a sine wave with a position-dependent phase function. The orientation of the x-, y-, z- axes is commonly chosen using the right hand rule.
wnvl2
There is no possible measurement, no matter how clever, that can measure the one way speed of light. It is a synchronization convention. In this topic I would like to apply this idea on a specific case.

I have a microwave oven with width L. In this oven I have a standing wave.

$$E(t,x)=E cos(\omega t) sin( k x) $$

with ##k = \frac{\pi}{L}## and ##c = \frac{\omega}{k}##.

We can split this standing wave into a left and a right moving wave.

$$\frac{E}{2} sin (\omega t - kx) + \frac{E}{2} sin (\omega t + kx)$$

Now I want to see what happens if we switch to another synchronization where the speed of the right-moving wave is
##c^{+}## is ##\frac{c}{2\epsilon}## and the speed of the left moving wave ##c^{-}## is ##\frac{c}{2(1-\epsilon)}##.

The Reisenbach synchronisation transformation looks like

$$ \begin{bmatrix}
ct \\
x \\
y \\
z \\
\end{bmatrix} = \Lambda \begin{bmatrix}
ct' \\
x' \\
y' \\
z' \\
\end{bmatrix}$$

with $$ \Lambda = \begin{bmatrix}
1 & \kappa & 0 & 0\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1\\
\end{bmatrix} $$

and ##\kappa=2 \epsilon-1##

This means that the electromagnetic field tensor

$$F^{\mu \nu} = \begin{bmatrix}
0 & -\frac{E_x}{c} & -\frac{E_y}{c} & -\frac{E_z}{c}\\
\frac{E_x}{c} & 0 & -B_z & B_y\\
\frac{E_y}{c} & B_z & 0 & -B_x\\
\frac{E_z}{c} & -B_y & B_x & 0\\
\end{bmatrix} $$

will transform according to

$$\Lambda^T F^{\mu \nu} \Lambda $$

This means that ##E_x## transforms into ##\kappa E_x##. I assume that in the xyz frame the magnetic field is everywhere 0.

The waves in the new frame x'y'z' transform into

$$\frac{\kappa E}{2} sin (\omega (t'-\frac{\kappa x'}{c}) - kx') + \frac{E}{2} sin (\omega (t'-\frac{\kappa x'}{c}) + kx')$$

$$\frac{\kappa E}{2} sin (\omega t'-(\omega\frac{\kappa}{c} - k)x') + \frac{E}{2} sin (\omega t'- (\omega \frac{\kappa}{c} + k)x')$$

A first conclusion is that I have not anymore a standing wave.

Is this reasoning already correct?

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
wnvl2 said:
Now I want to see what happens if we switch to another synchronization where the speed of the right-moving wave is
$c^{+}$ is $\frac{c}{2\epsilon}$ and the speed of the left moving wave $c^{-}$ is $\frac{c}{2(1-\epsilon)}^$.
I have no idea what kind of synchronization it is which let light waves have speed other than c.

Last edited:
Generally, coordinates in which light speed is anisotropic mean that your clocks are out of sync with respect to Einstein synchronised clocks. Simply applying the coordinate transform ##x'=x## and ##t'=t+\kappa x## I would expect ##\sin(\omega t)\sin(kx)## to transform to ##\sin(\omega(t'-\kappa x'))\sin(kx')##. So I suspect you will find you have nodes in the same place, but the wave will be a sine wave with some kind of position dependent phase function. I don't have pen and paper to work out if your result matches that.

Likes vanhees71, Dale, wnvl2 and 1 other person
@wnvl2 $$\cos(\omega t) \sin( k x) = \frac{1}{2} \sin (kx - \omega t) + \frac{1}{2} \sin (kx + \omega t)$$which explains what went wrong.

But there's no need for this. Why not just substitute directly into ##\cos(\omega t) \sin( k x)##? The ##\sin( k x)## term remains unaltered.

wnvl2 said:
This means that ##E_x## transforms into ##\kappa E_x##. I assume that in the xyz frame the magnetic field is everywhere 0.

Electromagnetic waves are transverse waves. Therefore, ##E_x = B_x = 0## in this scenario, with one wave moving in +x direction and the other in -x direction. The ##E## vector and ##B## vector are perpendicular to the x-direction and to each other. The magnetic field is not everywhere 0.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
wnvl2 said:
A first conclusion is that I have not anymore a standing wave.
It still seems to be a standing wave, although it is more difficult to see that since you split it into two traveling waves.

Last edited:
I did already some corrections to the opening post. Too many errors😔

There is no possible measurement, no matter how clever, that can measure the one way speed of light. It is a synchronization convention. In this topic I would like to apply this idea on a specific case.

I have a microwave oven with width L. In this oven I have a standing wave.

$$E(t,x)=E cos(\omega t) sin( k x) $$

with ##k = \frac{\pi}{L}## and ##c = \frac{\omega}{k}##.

We can split this standing wave into a left and a right moving wave.

$$-\frac{E}{2} sin (\omega t - kx) + \frac{E}{2} sin (\omega t + kx)$$

##c^{+}## is ##\frac{c}{2\epsilon}## and the speed of the left moving wave ##c^{-}## is ##\frac{c}{2(1-\epsilon)}##.

The Reisenbach synchronisation transformation looks like

$$ \begin{bmatrix}
ct \\
x \\
y \\
z \\
\end{bmatrix} = \Lambda \begin{bmatrix}
ct' \\
x' \\
y' \\
z' \\
\end{bmatrix}$$

with $$ \Lambda = \begin{bmatrix}
1 & \kappa & 0 & 0\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1\\
\end{bmatrix} $$

and ##\kappa=2 \epsilon-1##

This means that the electromagnetic field tensor

$$F^{\mu \nu} = \begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0 & -\frac{E_y}{c} & 0\\
0 & 0 & -B_z & 0\\
\frac{E_y}{c} & B_z & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
\end{bmatrix} $$

will transform according to

$$\Lambda^T F^{\mu \nu} \Lambda $$

This means that ##E_y## remains ##E_y##

The waves in the new frame x'y'z' transform into

$$-\frac{\kappa E}{2} sin (\omega (t'-\frac{\kappa x'}{c}) - kx') + \frac{E}{2} sin (\omega (t'-\frac{\kappa x'}{c}) + kx')$$

$$-\frac{\kappa E}{2} sin (\omega t'-(\omega\frac{\kappa}{c} - k)x') + \frac{E}{2} sin (\omega t'- (\omega \frac{\kappa}{c} + k)x')$$

A first conclusion is that I still have a standing wave.

Last edited:
Likes Dale and vanhees71
wnvl2 said:
@Sagittarius A-Star

Yes, I have ##E_x = 0## and ##B_x = 0##. If I have E_y, does that correspond to ##B_z = \frac {E_y}{c}## or ##B_z = \frac {-E_y}{c}##?

• For a normal wave it depends on which direction you call "y" and which "z". In physics, the usual default for the orientation of the x-, y-, z- axes is as cited below. In this case ##B_z = \frac {E_y}{c}## is correct.
Wikipedia said:
The orientation is usually chosen so that the 90 degree angle from the first axis to the second axis looks counter-clockwise when seen from the point (0, 0, 1); a convention that is commonly called the right hand rule.
Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesian_coordinate_system#Three_dimensions

Wikipedia said:
##\mathbf B = \frac{1}{c_0} \hat {\mathbf k} \times \mathbf E##
Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation#Derivation_from_electromagnetic_theory

Last edited:
Likes wnvl2
That is true, it is too long ago that I studied TEM waves.:rolleyes:

When I calculate ##\Lambda^T F^{\mu \nu} \Lambda##, I get

$$
F'^{\mu \nu} = \begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0 & -\frac{\kappa E_y}{c}-B_z& 0\\
\frac{E_y}{c} & \frac{\kappa E_y}{c}+B_z & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
\end{bmatrix}
$$

This means that the value of the electric field does not change, but the value of the magnetic field changes after the synchronisation transformation.

You don't need the ##\mu\nu## if you are using matrix notation. Or, rather, you should put indices on your ##\Lambda##s too.

I think you'll find that because ##E_y=E_y(x,t)## and you want ##E'_y(x',t')## then your transformed electric field is slightly different.

Likes vanhees71
and don't forget that you have necessarily magnetic field components too.

Ibix said:
You don't need the ##\mu\nu## if you are using matrix notation. Or, rather, you should put indices on your ##\Lambda##s too.
Unbelievable how many mistakes I make😱

$$F^{'\alpha\beta} = \Lambda^{\alpha}_{\mu} \Lambda^{\beta}_{\nu} F^{\mu \nu} $$

or

$$F' = \Lambda F \Lambda^T$$

Ibix said:
I think you'll find that because ##E_y=E_y(x,t)## and you want ##E'_y(x',t')## then your transformed electric field is slightly different.
I get

$$F' = \begin{bmatrix}

0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\

\end{bmatrix}$$

I don't see that change in electric field, it is still ##E_y##. For the magnetic field in the z direction I see a change.

wnvl2 said:
I get

$$F' = \begin{bmatrix}

0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\

\end{bmatrix}$$

I don't see that change in electric field, it is still ##E_y##. For the magnetic field in the z direction I see a change.
Yes, but ##E_y=E\cos(kx)\sin(\omega t)=E\cos(kx')\sin(\omega(t'-\kappa x'))##. The change in the functional form of ##E## is (in this case) solely from the change in the functional form of the coordinates. For ##B## it is both the transformation of ##F## and of the coordinates.

Likes wnvl2 and vanhees71

1. What is Reisenbach Transformation and how is it applied to EM waves in a microwave oven?

Reisenbach Transformation is a mathematical technique used to convert electromagnetic (EM) waves from one reference frame to another. In the case of a microwave oven, it is used to transform the EM waves emitted by the oven's magnetron into a standing wave pattern inside the cooking chamber.

2. Why is Reisenbach Transformation necessary for microwave ovens?

Microwave ovens use EM waves to heat food by agitating water molecules within the food. However, the magnetron that generates these waves emits a diverging beam, making it difficult to evenly distribute the waves within the cooking chamber. Reisenbach Transformation allows for the conversion of this diverging beam into a standing wave pattern, resulting in more efficient and even heating of the food.

3. How does Reisenbach Transformation affect the cooking process in a microwave oven?

By converting the diverging EM wave beam into a standing wave pattern, Reisenbach Transformation allows for more precise control of the energy distribution within the cooking chamber. This results in more even heating of the food and reduces the risk of overcooking or undercooking certain areas.

4. Are there any limitations to using Reisenbach Transformation in microwave ovens?

While Reisenbach Transformation is effective in improving the efficiency and evenness of heating in microwave ovens, it is not a perfect solution. The transformation process can result in some energy loss, and it may not be suitable for certain types of food that require specific heating patterns.

5. How does Reisenbach Transformation differ from other methods of converting EM waves in microwave ovens?

There are other techniques, such as mode stirrers and rotating antennas, that can also be used to convert the diverging EM wave beam into a standing wave pattern. However, Reisenbach Transformation is often preferred due to its simplicity and cost-effectiveness. It also allows for more control over the standing wave pattern, making it better suited for cooking a variety of foods.