Planet density -- no idea what to do

In summary: What is the density?You have been given the information needed to find the mass of the Earth. You have been given the information needed to find the volume of the Earth. You have been given the information needed to find the density of the Earth.Please re-read the problem statement, and see if you can figure out what information you have been given. Do you know the information that you need to solve the problem? If not, what information do you need? Do you know how to find that information?The acceleration due to gravity at the surface of the Earth is related to the mass of the Earth, the radius of the Earth, and the universal gravitational constant (G). Do you know what that relationship is?
physicsquestion

Homework Statement

[/B]
Consider a spherical planet of uniform density ρ. The distance from the planet's center to its surface (i.e., the planet's radius) is Rp. An object is located a distance Rfrom the center of the planet, where R<Rp. (The object is located inside of the planet.)

Find a numerical value for ρearth, the average density of the Earth in kilograms per cubic meter. Use 6378km for the radius of the earth, G=6.67×10−11m3/(kg⋅s2), and a value of g at the surface of 9.80m/s2.
Express your answer to three significant figures.

Homework Equations

I answered the questions before this, and they go like this:

Find an expression for the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity, g(R), inside the planet.
Express the acceleration due to gravity in terms of ρ, R, π, and G, the universal gravitational constant.

4/3πGρRRewrite your result for g(R) in terms of gp, the gravitational acceleration at the surface of the planet, times a function of R.
Express your answer in terms of gp, R, and Rp.

R/Rp*gp

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
To be quite honest, I do not know what to do. I need step by step instructions and explanations of why I had to do things that I should have.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a simples hints:
-What's the formula for density ?
-What is the formula of acceleration due to gravity ? I wonder if it's possible to take a "mass" from here?
Note: that R<Rp so the result may be bounded by 2 number(less or more,)
Hope That Help :p

Dear physicsquestion,

Please read your post before posting. It is unclear what your exercise is and it is unclear what your question is.
There are no relevant equations in the section by that name and there is no attempt at solution under the section by that name.

Read the guidelines, follow them (or at least a fair percentage :smile: ) and you'll get better assistance. You will also learn how to order your thoughts, which is a also very useful skill.

Likes berkeman
physicsquestion said:
Find a numerical value for ρearth, the average density of the Earth in kilograms per cubic meter. Use 6378km for the radius of the earth, G=6.67×10−11m3/(kg⋅s2), and a value of g at the surface of 9.80m/s2.
Express your answer to three significant figures.

Given the problem statement, I don't see a need for the object inside the Earth. You are given the acceleration due to gravity at the surface, and the radius of the Earth. What is the mass of the Earth? What is the volume?

1. What is planet density?

Planet density refers to the measure of the mass per unit volume of a planet. It is essentially a measure of how much matter is packed into a certain amount of space on a planet.

2. How is planet density calculated?

To calculate the density of a planet, we need to know its mass and volume. The formula for density is mass divided by volume. Mass is usually measured in kilograms (kg) and volume is measured in cubic meters (m3).

3. What is the average density of planets in our solar system?

The average density of planets in our solar system varies greatly. The densest planet is Earth, with an average density of 5.51 grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3). The least dense planet is Saturn, with an average density of 0.69 g/cm3.

4. How does the density of a planet affect its gravity?

The density of a planet is directly related to its gravity. A planet with a higher density will have a stronger gravitational pull, meaning objects on the surface will weigh more than on a lower density planet.

5. What can we learn from studying planet density?

Studying planet density can tell us a lot about a planet's composition and formation. It can also give insight into the internal structure of a planet and how it may have evolved over time.