Plant root and nitrogen experiment

In summary, a high school experiment was conducted to test the effect of nitrate ions on plant growth. The setup involved two beakers with different mineral solutions, one containing nitrate ions. The plants were inserted into the solutions and inspected for growth. The beakers were closed with an air vent for bubbling air and covered with black paper. The purpose of bubbling air was to provide oxygen for the root cells to respire, while the black paper mimicked the conditions of plants growing in soil where roots are away from light. However, the answers given for the reason behind covering the beaker with black paper may be too simplistic.
Barclay

Homework Statement

A high school experiment shows a plant immersed in a solution of nitrate ions. The beaker is closed but has an air vent passing into the solution.
Q. Why is air bubbled into the solution
Q. Why is the beaker covered with black paper

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer Q2. The air will provide oxygen to the root cells for them to respire.
My answer Q2. To mimmic real plant conditions/ environment in soil. The roots are away from light in soil too.

Q2. Is my main problem. I'm just guessing the answer.

Please comment on my answers
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless the question refers to a known experiment that was discussed earlier IMHO it is worded in a way that makes it impossible to give any reasonable answer. It is just way too ambiguous.

Borek said:
Question ... it is worded in a way that makes it impossible to give any reasonable answer ... too ambiguous.

Okay I'll try again. The question says "A student uses apparatus (shown as diagram but I'll describe the set up below) to show if nitrate ions help plants to grow".

Diagram shows two beakers containing minerals in solution. Only one of the brakers contains the nitrate.
The roots of a 2 plants are inserted into the different solution and then the plants are inspected for growth weeks later.
The beakers are closed at the top but have an air vent passing into the solution through which air can be bubbled into the solution.
Q1. Why is air bubbled into the solution
Q2. Why is the beaker covered with black paper

A2. The air will provide oxygen to the root cells for them to respire.
A2. To mimmic real plant conditions/ environment in soil. The roots are away from light in soil too.

Q2. Is my main problem. I'm just guessing the answer.

Last edited:
Can't think of a better answer.

Borek said:
Can't think of a better answer.

Thanks. Q2 answer sounds too simplistic so was having doubts

1. What is the purpose of a plant root and nitrogen experiment?

The purpose of a plant root and nitrogen experiment is to study the effects of nitrogen on the growth and development of plant roots. Nitrogen is an essential nutrient for plant growth and understanding its role in root development can help improve agricultural practices.

2. How is the experiment conducted?

The experiment involves growing plants in a controlled environment with varying levels of nitrogen. This can be done by adding different amounts of nitrogen fertilizer to the soil or by using hydroponic systems with different nitrogen concentrations. The roots of the plants are then observed and measured to determine the impact of nitrogen on their growth.

3. What types of plants are typically used in this experiment?

Various types of plants can be used in a plant root and nitrogen experiment, depending on the specific research question. However, common plants used include legumes, grasses, and crops such as corn, wheat, and soybeans.

4. What are the expected results of the experiment?

The results of the experiment may vary depending on the type of plant and the amount of nitrogen used. However, it is generally expected that plants grown with higher nitrogen levels will have larger and more developed root systems compared to those grown with lower nitrogen levels. This is because nitrogen is a key component in the production of proteins and enzymes necessary for root growth.

5. How can the findings of this experiment be applied in real-world scenarios?

The findings of a plant root and nitrogen experiment can be applied in agriculture to optimize crop production. By understanding the role of nitrogen in root development, farmers can make more informed decisions about fertilizer application to improve the growth and yield of their crops. This information can also be used in the development of sustainable farming practices to reduce the overuse of nitrogen fertilizers.