Plasma Generation using Dielectric Barrier Discharge

In summary, the individual is having difficulty in creating a power source for a DBD (dielectric barrier discharge) and is looking for information on calculating the required voltage and frequency as well as the necessary circuit, method, and equipment to generate the voltage from a 220 V/50 Hz AC socket. They are conducting this as a second year undergraduate project and are looking for applications of DBD. The person is also seeking information on how to sustain the plasma for a longer period of time. They have provided a link to a research paper they are using for their project.
Rhony
I am having trouble in making a power source for the DBD. I can't seem to find any calculations to get the required voltage and frequency of AC to generate plasma. I want to know the circuit/method/equipment needed to generate that voltage from a normal 220 V/50 Hz AC socket in my lab.I am doing it as an experiment for my second year undergraduate project.
Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you post some links to DBD? What applications is it used for?

Rhony said:
I am having trouble in making a power source for the DBD. I can't seem to find any calculations to get the required voltage and frequency of AC to generate plasma. I want to know the circuit/method/equipment needed to generate that voltage from a normal 220 V/50 Hz AC socket in my lab.I am doing it as an experiment for my second year undergraduate project.
Thank you
When I was at school we used an induction coil and we used the discharge for making Ozone. The discharge took place through the wall of a glass tube, and we called it a Silent Discharge at that time.

I need the plasma for an experiment. I want it to sustain for a considerable amount of time.

Rhony said:
I need the plasma for an experiment. I want it to sustain for a considerable amount of time.
Okay, but that doesn't really help much. Could you please address my question/request? Thanks.
berkeman said:
Can you post some links to DBD? What applications is it used for?

1. What is Dielectric Barrier Discharge (DBD)?

DBD is a non-thermal plasma generation technique that uses a high voltage electric field to create a plasma in a gas, typically at atmospheric pressure. The electric field is applied to a dielectric material, usually a thin layer of glass or ceramic, which separates the two electrodes and allows for a stable discharge.

2. How does DBD plasma differ from other types of plasma?

DBD plasma is unique in that it operates at atmospheric pressure and at relatively low temperatures compared to other types of plasma. This makes it useful for applications where high temperatures and vacuum conditions are not desirable.

3. What gases can be used in DBD plasma generation?

DBD can be used with a variety of gases, including air, helium, argon, and nitrogen. The choice of gas will affect the properties of the generated plasma, such as its temperature and chemical reactivity.

4. What are the potential applications of DBD plasma?

DBD plasma has a wide range of potential applications, including surface modification, sterilization, and pollution control. It has also been used in biomedical research, such as for cell manipulation and wound healing.

5. What are the main challenges in DBD plasma generation?

One of the main challenges in DBD plasma generation is controlling the discharge and maintaining a stable and uniform plasma. Other challenges include the design and optimization of the DBD system, as well as understanding the complex physics behind the discharge process.