Plate Buckling Deflection Function for Rayleigh Ritz Method

In summary, the correct shape function for the buckled shape in a rectangular specially orthotropic composite plate is w(x,y)=A*(1-cos(2*pi*m*x/a)*A.
SamNaval
G'Day Everybody, I am computing buckling of a rectangular(edges: a*b) specially orthotropic composite plate. The boundary conditions are clamped-clamped at the opposing loaded edges and the other two edges are free (also known as CFCF). After having the boundary conditions and the governing differential equation I to need to assume the deflection of the buckled shape in order to apply Rayleigh Ritz Method. At this point I would like to know if anybody can tell me that the following shape function is correct or not:

w(x,y)=A*(1-cos(2*pi*m*x/a)

,where:
A: is to be determined at afterwards
m: Natural for Buckling

or should be the following, du to the modeshape in y-direction(w(y)=A):

w(x,y)=A*(1-cos(2*pi*m*x/a)*A

I assumed it to be correct but the following calculations where simplified so much that I am not sure anymore.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Sam

Engineering news on Phys.org
myThe second shape function is correct. You need to account for the boundary conditions in both x and y directions. The first shape function only accounts for the boundary conditions in the x direction. The second shape function takes into account the boundary conditions in both x and y directions.

1. What is the Plate Buckling Deflection Function for Rayleigh Ritz Method?

The Plate Buckling Deflection Function for Rayleigh Ritz Method is a mathematical approach used to calculate the deflection of a thin plate under the influence of compressive loads. It is based on the Rayleigh Ritz method, which uses a trial function to approximate the actual deflection of the plate.

2. How is the Plate Buckling Deflection Function derived?

The Plate Buckling Deflection Function is derived using the principle of minimum potential energy, which states that the actual deflection of a plate will be the one that minimizes the total potential energy of the system. By varying the trial function and minimizing the potential energy, the Plate Buckling Deflection Function can be determined.

3. What are the advantages of using the Plate Buckling Deflection Function for Rayleigh Ritz Method?

One of the main advantages of using this method is that it can provide accurate results for plates with complex geometries and boundary conditions. It also takes into account the effects of both bending and membrane stresses on the deflection, making it a more comprehensive approach compared to other methods.

4. Are there any limitations to the Plate Buckling Deflection Function for Rayleigh Ritz Method?

One limitation of this method is that it assumes the plate is thin and has a constant thickness. It also does not consider the effects of shear deformation, which may be significant for plates with high aspect ratios. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the choice of trial function.

5. How is the Plate Buckling Deflection Function validated?

The accuracy of the Plate Buckling Deflection Function can be validated by comparing the results obtained from the method with experimental data or results from other analytical methods. It is also important to ensure that the assumptions and limitations of the method are considered when interpreting the results.