Please check my answers: Combined Circuit

In summary, the conversation involved discussing a circuit problem involving various voltage and current values, as well as resistances. The individual asking for help received confirmation that their calculations were correct, but was reminded to consider the direction of currents and the concept of voltage drops across resistors in future problems. The expert also provided some additional information about designating a "ground" point in the circuit and determining voltages from there. Overall, the conversation was a helpful and informative discussion about solving circuit problems accurately.
j doe

Homework Statement

1zqdpnd.jpg

ek492.jpg

10z8p02.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Vt=30V
It=4.3A
Rt=7Ω

V1=12.9V
V2=2.15V
V3=2.15V
V4=4.3V
V5=12.9V
VA=4.3V
VB=4.3V

I1=4.3A
I2=2.15A
I3=2.15A
I4=2.15A
I5=4.3A
IA=2.15A
IB=4.3A

R1=3Ω
R2=1Ω
R3=1Ω
R4=2Ω
R5=3Ω
RA=2Ω
RB=1Ω

Did I break down the problem correctly? And are all these calculations correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it seems correct.

j doe said:

Homework Statement

1zqdpnd.jpg

ek492.jpg

10z8p02.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Vt=30V
It=4.3A
Rt=7Ω

V1=12.9V
V2=2.15V
V3=2.15V
V4=4.3V
V5=12.9V
VA=4.3V
VB=4.3V

I1=4.3A
I2=2.15A
I3=2.15A
I4=2.15A
I5=4.3A
IA=2.15A
IB=4.3A

R1=3Ω
R2=1Ω
R3=1Ω
R4=2Ω
R5=3Ω
RA=2Ω
RB=1Ω

Did I break down the problem correctly? And are all these calculations correct?
It looks reasonably good, but electrical currents do have a direction=normally you mark the direction with an arrow and if the current goes opposite to the arrow, it is then a negative current. Also, the voltages you have are voltage drops across the resistors. Often the question will be what is the voltage at a point in the circuit, and in order to do this, a point in the circuit (e.g. the "-" terminal of the voltage source) will be designated as the "V=0" or "ground" point. Then the "+" terminal of the battery will be V=+30 V, and the voltages at other locations are determined from the voltage drops. All in all, you did reasonably good.

What is a combined circuit?

A combined circuit refers to a circuit that contains both series and parallel elements. This means that some components in the circuit are connected in a series, while others are connected in parallel.

What is the purpose of a combined circuit?

The purpose of a combined circuit is to combine the advantages of both series and parallel circuits. Series circuits provide a single pathway for electrical current, while parallel circuits provide multiple pathways. A combined circuit can achieve both a specific voltage and current, making it useful for a variety of applications.

How do you calculate the total resistance in a combined circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a combined circuit, you must first determine the equivalent resistance of the series elements. This can be done by adding up the individual resistances. Then, you can use the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn to determine the total resistance of the parallel elements. Finally, you can add the equivalent resistance of the series elements to the total resistance of the parallel elements to get the total resistance of the combined circuit.

What is Kirchhoff's Voltage Law and how is it used in a combined circuit?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of the voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. In a combined circuit, this law is used to determine the voltage drops across each component. By applying this law to different loops in the circuit, you can calculate the voltage at different points and ensure that the total voltage is conserved.

How do you analyze a combined circuit?

To analyze a combined circuit, you must first simplify the circuit by combining series and parallel elements into their equivalent resistances. Then, you can use Kirchhoff's Voltage and Current Laws to determine the voltage drops and current flow in the circuit. Finally, you can use Ohm's Law (V = IR) to calculate the voltage, current, and resistance at different points in the circuit.