Please check Residue theorem excercise

In summary, Opalg found a mistake in his calculation of the integral around the semi-circle. He needs to convince $ e^{\theta} e^{i\theta} $ to equal 1 in order to finish the problem.
ognik
Show $ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{x^4 - 2 cos 2 \theta + 1} \,dx = \frac{\pi}{2sin \theta} $

I know I want to use the residue theorem for $ \int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{1}{z^4 - 2 cos 2 \theta z^2 + 1} \,dz $, and have found the 4 poles ($ \pm e^{\pm i \theta } $).

I chose the upper semi-circle (closed path), |z|=R, which leaves only 2 poles interior, $ \pm e^{i \theta} $

I can show that the 'return path' integral around the semi-circle tends to 0 as R tends to $\infty$, so I can use the residue theorem for the path along the real axis. All good to here I think?

Using $ Res[f, {z}_{0}] = \lim_{{z}\to{{z}_{0}}} \frac{(z-{z}_{0})}{ (z+e^{i \theta})(z-e^{i \theta})(z+e^{-i \theta})(z-e^{-i \theta}) } $ I get
$ Res[f, e^{i \theta}] = \frac{1}{4i e^{i \theta}} \frac{1}{sin(2\theta)}$ and $ Res[f, -e^{i \theta}] = \frac{-1}{4i e^{i \theta}} \frac{1}{sin(2\theta)}$, but those residues cancel, so something is wrong (I was kinda hoping they would add). I've checked and re-checked, getting nowhere...

Could someone please just:
1) Confirm if my approach is OK
2) Check my 2 residues

That should be enough for me to finish this tomorrow (Sleepy) ...

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
Show $ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{x^4 - 2 cos 2 \theta + 1} \,dx = \frac{\pi}{2sin \theta} $

I know I want to use the residue theorem for $ \int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{1}{z^4 - 2 cos 2 \theta z^2 + 1} \,dz $, and have found the 4 poles ($ \pm e^{\pm i \theta } $).

I chose the upper semi-circle (closed path), |z|=R, which leaves only 2 poles interior, $\pm e^{i \theta} $
No. The two poles inside the contour are $e^{i\theta}$ and $-e^{-i\theta}$ (on the assumption that $0<\theta<\pi$).

Thanks, but that tells me I have learned something wrong. Yes, $ 0 < \theta < \pi $

$ e^{i \theta} $ is in quadrant 1, but I thought $ -e^{-i \theta} $ would be in quad 3, because $ -e^{-i \theta} = -(cos(-i \theta) +i sin(-i \theta)) = -cos(i \theta) - i sin(i \theta) $, so both real and imaginary components are negative, therefore quad 3?

I know I must have this wrong, but why? How should I have 'plotted' these poles?

ognik said:
Thanks, but that tells me I have learned something wrong. Yes, $ 0 < \theta < \pi $

$ e^{i \theta} $ is in quadrant 1, but I thought $ -e^{-i \theta} $ would be in quad 3, because ${\color{red} -e^{-i \theta} = -(cos(-i \theta) +i sin(-i \theta))} = -cos(i \theta) - i sin(i \theta) $, so both real and imaginary components are negative, therefore quad 3?

I know I must have this wrong, but why? How should I have 'plotted' these poles?
Too many $i$'s there, for a start. It should be $-e^{-i \theta} = -(\cos(-\theta) +i \sin(- \theta)) = -\cos(\theta) + i \sin(\theta) $, because $\cos(-\theta) = \cos(\theta)$ and $\sin(-\theta) = -\sin(\theta)$.

Oops, 'i' feel rather embarrassed ...Thanks Opalg.

Then $ Res[f,e^{i \theta }] = \frac{1}{2e^{i \theta }(e^{i \theta } +e^{-i \theta }) (e^{i \theta } - e^{-i \theta }) }
= \frac{1}{4ie^{i \theta }} \frac{1}{2sin \theta cos \theta} $

Similarly, $ Res[f,-e^{-i \theta }] = \frac{1}{4ie^{-i \theta }} \frac{1}{2sin \theta cos \theta} $

Finally $ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x)\,dx = 2 \pi i (\frac{1}{4i e^{i \theta + }}\frac{1}{4i e^{-i \theta}})\frac{1}{2sin \theta cos \theta}
=\frac{\pi}{8cos \theta}\frac{1}{2sin \theta cos \theta} $ - which is $ \frac{1}{8cos^2 \theta} $ different from what it should be? I can't find a mistake?

Last edited:
ognik said:
Finally $ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x)\,dx = 2 \pi i \Bigl(\frac{1}{4i e^{i \theta }} + \frac{1}{4i e^{-i \theta}}\Bigr)\frac{1}{2sin \theta cos \theta}
=\frac{\pi}{8cos \theta}\frac{1}{2sin \theta cos \theta} $ - which is $ \frac{1}{8cos^2 \theta} $ different from what it should be? I can't find a mistake?
$\dfrac{1}{4i e^{i \theta }} + \dfrac{1}{4i e^{-i \theta}} = \dfrac1{4i}\cdot \dfrac{e^{-i\theta} + e^{i\theta}}{e^{i\theta} e^{-i\theta}} = \dfrac1{4i}\cdot \dfrac{2\cos\theta}1 = \dfrac{\cos\theta}{2i}$

Last edited:
Thanks Opalg, happy that I was on the right track - but how do you persuade $ e^{\theta} e^{i\theta} $ to = 1? I haven't come across that before, tried whatever I could think of and couldn't find anything on the web ...

ognik said:
- but how do you persuade $ e^{\theta} e^{i\theta} $ to = 1? I haven't come across that before, tried whatever I could think of and couldn't find anything on the web ...
Just a typo, $ e^{-i\theta} e^{i\theta}=e^0=1. $

I should have seen that, but thanks Fernando. (times like this I get quite annoyed with myself!)

1. What is the Residue theorem?

The Residue theorem is a mathematical tool used in complex analysis to evaluate integrals along closed curves. It states that the integral of a function around a closed curve is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at its singular points inside the curve.

2. How do I determine the residues of a function?

To determine the residues of a function at its singular points, you can use the Laurent series expansion or the Cauchy integral formula. Alternatively, you can use the formula Res(f,z0) = limz→z0 [(z-z0)f(z)].

3. What are some practical applications of the Residue theorem?

The Residue theorem has various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used to evaluate complex integrals in electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in signal processing, control theory, and number theory.

4. Can the Residue theorem be applied to any closed curve?

No, the Residue theorem can only be applied to closed curves that satisfy certain conditions, such as being simple and positively oriented. It also requires that the function being integrated is analytic inside and on the closed curve.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Residue theorem?

Yes, the Residue theorem can only be applied to functions that are analytic in the region of interest. It also cannot be used for integrals where the integrand has essential singularities inside the closed curve. Additionally, the singular points of the function must be isolated and finite.