Please explain the action of forces here

In summary, the forces acting on a 4.87 kg object are: one in the positive y direction with magnitude 12N, and one in the negative x direction with magnitude -12N.
Asad Raza

Homework Statement

Two forces are acting on a 4.87-kg object that moves with acceleration 5.47 m/s^2 in the positive y-direction. If one of the forces acts in the positive x-direction and has magnitude of 12 N, what is the magnitude of the other force in N?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't figure this out. If the object accelerates in positive y direction, then the resultant force must be in the same direction. Now, if one force is acting in positive x direction, how can another force act in such a way that the object moves in positive y direction. This is only possible when the second force acts to the north west direction. No?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your ##\vec F## will have both an x-component and a y-component. There's also one other essential force that acts on the object in the y-direction. Try drawing a diagram of the vectors you will be adding. I don't believe you'll need the x-component for this calculation, but someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Eclair_de_XII said:
There's also one other essential force that acts on the object in the y-direction
No. We are told two forces act, and there is no basis for assuming any gravity is present, nor that y is vertical.
Eclair_de_XII said:
I don't believe you'll need the x-component for this calculation
It will be needed.

Asad Raza said:
This is only possible when the second force acts to the north west direction. No?
It implies the second force has both x and y components, but necessarily exactly NW.

Does the positive y direction imply that it will have no x component--it goes straight up. If yes, how would we get to know the angle at which it acts?
Also, the force that acts in positive x direction only has one component or will it have an upward component too? If yes, what angle?

Asad Raza said:
Does the positive y direction imply that it will have no x component--it goes straight up. If yes, how would we get to know the angle at which it acts?
Also, the force that acts in positive x direction only has one component or will it have an upward component too? If yes, what angle?
The way I read the question, the first force has an x component only and the acceleration has a y component only.

haruspex said:
The way I read the question, the first force has an x component only and the acceleration has a y component only.
So the only force that remains is the second force that SHOULD have two components: one to cancel the x component of 12N and the other one to accelerate the mass in positive y direction. Correct?

Likes CWatters
Asad Raza said:
So the only force that remains is the second force that SHOULD have two components: one to cancel the x component of 12N and the other one to accelerate the mass in positive y direction. Correct?
Right.

haruspex said:
Right.
Thank you so much.

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull on an object that can cause it to accelerate or change its state of motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning that it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What are the types of forces?

There are four fundamental forces in nature: gravitational force, electromagnetic force, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. Other types of forces include friction, tension, normal force, and applied force.

3. How do forces affect motion?

Forces can either cause an object to start moving, stop moving, or change direction. They can also cause an object to speed up, slow down, or maintain a constant velocity. The net force acting on an object determines its motion.

4. What is Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three principles that describe how forces affect the motion of an object. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by a net external force. The second law is that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

5. How are forces represented?

Forces are represented by vectors, which are arrows with both magnitude and direction. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the force, and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the force. The units for force are Newtons (N).