Please explain the difference between holography and holograms. I have

In summary, holography is the practice of making holograms, which are advanced types of photography that allow for 3D images to be seen. There are two main types of holograms, reflection and transmission, with the former being more expensive and the latter being more commonly mass produced. Holography and holograms are often used interchangeably, but it is important to note that "holography" specifically refers to the practice of making holograms, while "holograms" are the resulting images. It is important to research both terms in order to fully understand the subject.
Awsom Guy
Please explain the difference between holography and holograms. I have to do an assignment on holography, but should I research holograms aswell.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Awsom Guy said:
Please explain the difference between holography and holograms. I have to do an assignment on holography, but should I research holograms aswell.
Thanks

Your "research" and assignment should included you trying to find out for yourself first, and not simply hoping to get an outright answer on here. Try to find out what they are, and then, if you find something you do not understand, then ask specific questions on here. Do not ask vague, general questions without giving any indication that you've attempted them on your own.

Zz.

This is my opening paragraph is it good. Is the information I have placed right please check. "Holography is the process of making or the technique of making holograms. It is an advanced type of photography, which allows the image to be seen in 3D. Holograms work by bouncing laser light off an object. There are two major types of holograms, reflection and transmission holograms. Reflection holograms work by reflecting a beam of laser off the surface of the hologram, but they are very expensive to make as they are in very high quality. The second one, transmission holograms make images by sending light through the holograms, these are cheap to make and are usually mass produced. E.g. the holograms in driving license. "
Thanks

Try a dictionary.

You describe holograms. If you are wondering what a holograph is, it is a document written in the author's own handwriting. Tryhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holograph" . It took about two seconds to find that.

It opens with "Not to be confused with holography." So, the principle meaning of "holography" is the practice of making holograms. Your paper on "holograms and holography" is what you are describing in your paper. You might want to mention the confusion with "holograph", a must older word still in use in Law and history.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh NO really. But I can't find much information on holography. So I thought if I explain that holograhy is the process of making holograms, then explaining holograms was ok. Can you maybe post some websites I could use for holography. (OF course wikipedia). Thanks

It would be nice to know what you have looked at first because, once again, it will show that you've made an effort. I'm still not sure what exactly you are going to write on, and what you are having problems with.

So at the risk of spoon-feeding you the answer (which I truly hate to do), I will simply give you a popular fall-back website that has an entry on this. Please bookmark the hyperphysics website from now on and try and use that first.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/optmod/holog.html#c1

We have so many resources available at our fingertips nowadays (you don't want to hear stories about the old days where we have to walk several blocks to get to a library, in the cold of winter, uphill and in barefeet, just to look up on a subject). There isn't much of an excuse anymore for someone to come in here completely blank cold on a topic. It is more effective (and a more effective use of this forum) when we tackle a specific issue or problem, rather than broad, vague topic.

Zz.

Last edited:

Holography is to holograms what Photography is to photos.

Thanks guys. I just needed to know if holograms was ok in a holography subject. My assignment is on holography, but I thought it had to be exactly on it. SO I guess I can use holograms in this as well as holography is the process of making holograms.

Related to Please explain the difference between holography and holograms. I have

1. What is holography?

Holography is a photographic technique that captures the three-dimensional image of an object. It uses laser light to create a hologram, which is a photographic recording of the interference pattern between two beams of coherent light.

2. What is a hologram?

A hologram is a three-dimensional image that appears to be floating in space. It is created through the process of holography and captures the full visual information of an object, including depth, perspective, and parallax.

3. What is the difference between holography and holograms?

Holography is the technique used to create a hologram, while a hologram is the resulting three-dimensional image. Holography is the process, while holograms are the end product.

4. How is holography different from traditional photography?

Holography captures the full three-dimensional information of an object, while traditional photography only captures a two-dimensional representation. Holography also uses laser light to create the image, while traditional photography uses visible light.

5. What are the practical applications of holography and holograms?

Holography and holograms have a wide range of applications, including security features on credit cards and passports, 3D imaging in medical imaging and entertainment, and holographic displays for advertising and product packaging.