Please explain the difference between these fractions w/ radical

In summary, I was given an incorrect solution to a problem and was corrected by someone else. The solution is -\frac{6+2}{4}
opus
Gold Member

Homework Statement

For the solution to a given problem, in the second to last step I had:
##-\frac{\sqrt 6}{4} + \frac{\sqrt 2}{4}##

I stated next that the solution was ##-\frac{\sqrt{6}+\sqrt{2}}{4}##

I was told this was incorrect and that the correct solution is ##\frac{-\sqrt{6}+\sqrt{2}}{4}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Could someone explain this error to me? Is it not true that ##-\frac{a}{b}=\frac{-a}{b}=\frac{a}{-b}##?
Or is this case different because I have an expression on the top, not just a single variable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Screenshot attached for reference.
Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 4.25.54 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 4.25.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 4.25.54 PM.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 482
opus said:

Homework Statement

I was told this was incorrect and that the correct solution is ##\frac{-\sqrt{6}+\sqrt{2}}{4}##

Homework Equations

Could someone explain this error to me? Is it not true that ##-\frac{a}{b}=\frac{-a}{b}=\frac{a}{-b}##?
##-\frac{a}{b}=\frac{-a}{b}## is true. So ##-\frac{\sqrt 6}{4} =\frac{-\sqrt 6}{4}##and ##\frac{-\sqrt 6}{4}+\frac{\sqrt2}{4}=\frac{-\sqrt 6+\sqrt2}{4}##

Likes opus
opus said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Or is this case different because I have an expression on the top, not just a single variable?

You are guilty of sloppy use (or non-use) of parentheses:
$$-\frac{a}{b} + \frac{c}{b} $$
means that you subtract the fraction ##\frac{a}{b}## from the fraction ##\frac{c}{b}##, and since they have the same denominator, you can combine the numerators as ##c-a##. That is, you get
$$\frac{c-a}{b},$$
which can be written as $$\frac{-a + c}{b}.$$
If you write
$$-\frac{a+c}{b}$$
that means $$- \left( \frac{a+c}{b} \right),$$
which was not what you started with.

Remember the priority order of mathematical operations: reading from left to right, parentheses have precedence over everything, then powers have precedence over multiplication or division, and these have precedence over addition and subtraction. Therefore, when we parse the expression ##-\frac{a}{b} + \frac{c}{b}##, we do "##-##" first, then ##a/b## then "##+##", then ##\frac{c}{b}##. In other words, had we used parentheses we would have had ##(- \frac{a}{b}) + (\frac{c}{b})##.

Likes opus
Ahh I see. So by pulling that negative all the way out front, I negated the entire expression which is not equal to what I had. The negative needed to stay with the ##\sqrt 6##

Likes FactChecker
opus said:
Ahh I see. So by pulling that negative all the way out front, I negated the entire expression which is not equal to what I had. The negative needed to stay with the ##\sqrt 6##

Yes, exactly, because in ##-\frac{a+c}{b}## the division has prioity over the first "##-##", so first we do the fraction, then we change its sign.

See, eg.,
http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops.htm
or
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations
for rules about reading/writing mathematical expressions.

Likes opus
Excellent, thanks guys.

Likes berkeman
opus said:
Yes. If you still want to put a negative in front of the entire thing, you can put another '-' in front of the ##\sqrt 2##. That would give it a "double negative" and so leave it positive. ##-\frac {\sqrt 6} 4 + \frac {\sqrt 2} 4 = - \frac { \sqrt 6 - \sqrt 2 } 4 ##

Likes opus
Thank you!

1. What is a fraction with a radical?

A fraction with a radical is a mathematical expression that contains a radical symbol (√) in either the numerator or denominator, or both. The radical symbol represents the square root of a number.

2. How is a fraction with a radical different from a regular fraction?

A fraction with a radical is different from a regular fraction because it contains a radical symbol (√) which represents the square root of a number. This means that the value of the fraction cannot be easily determined without simplifying the radical.

3. Can fractions with radicals be simplified?

Yes, fractions with radicals can be simplified by finding the factors of the number inside the radical and simplifying the radical to its simplest form. Once the radical is simplified, the fraction can be simplified using standard methods.

4. What is the difference between a radical in the numerator and a radical in the denominator?

A radical in the numerator represents the square root of a number that is being divided, while a radical in the denominator represents the square root of a number that is being divided by the whole fraction. The location of the radical changes the meaning and value of the fraction.

5. How do I add or subtract fractions with radicals?

To add or subtract fractions with radicals, the radicals must first be simplified to their simplest form. Then, the fractions can be combined using standard methods for adding or subtracting fractions, such as finding a common denominator.