Partial Fraction Decomposition

hackedagainanda
Homework Statement
Find the partial fraction decomposition of the rational=##\frac {1} {x^2 -c^2}## with ##c \neq {0}##
Relevant Equations
N/A
##\frac {1} {x^2 -c^2}## with ##c \neq {0}##

So the first thing I do is split the ##x^2 -c^2## into the difference of squares so ##x +c## and ##x - c##

I then do ##\frac {A} {x + c}## ##+## ##\frac {B} {x-c}##, and then let ##x=c## to zero out the expression. And that is where I am getting lost I don't see where to go from here, I don't understand where the ##2c## in the denominator is coming from.

The solution in the book is ##\frac {1} {2c(x-c)}## ##-\frac {1} {2c(x+c)}##

Physics news on Phys.org
You set the partial fraction equal to the original fraction and then solve for A and B.

• Informative
Likes e_jane
Frabjous said:
You set the partial fraction equal to the original fraction and then solve for A and B.
I think I got it Ax + Bx = 0 and adding -Ac + Bc =1 A-A =0 add the B's and get 2B = 1 so B= 1/2 and A = -1/2, there is no x term in the numerator so we can move along to the variable c, -Ac = -1/2c and B = 1/2c so that lines up with the books answer.

Thanks for the suggestion and help, did I make any mistakes?

hackedagainanda said:
I think I got it Ax + Bx = 0 and adding -Ac + Bc =1 A-A =0 add the B's and get 2B = 1 so B= 1/2 and A = -1/2, there is no x term in the numerator so we can move along to the variable c, -Ac = -1/2c and B = 1/2c so that lines up with the books answer.

Thanks for the suggestion and help, did I make any mistakes?
I cannot tell exactly what you are doing. For future questions, you will need to be clearer.
Here’s how I do it.
The first equation can be written as (A+B)x=0. Since this has to hold for all values of x, this implies A=-B.
The second equation can now be rewritten
(B-A)c=1
2Bc=1
B=1/(2c) (notice that you are dividing by c, so that it cannot equal 0

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Informative
Likes e_jane, FactChecker and hackedagainanda
Frabjous said:
The first equation can be written as (A+B)x=0. Since this has to hold for all values of x, this implies A=-B.
The second equation can now be rewritten
(B-A)c=1
2Bc=1.
B=1/2c (notice that you are dividing by c, so that it cannot equal 0.
1/2c would normally be read as one half times c. To convey the idea that c is in the denominator, write 1/(2c) or ##\frac 1 {2c}##.

• Informative
Likes e_jane

What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used in mathematics and engineering to simplify rational expressions. It involves breaking down a complex fraction into simpler fractions, making it easier to solve and manipulate.

Why is partial fraction decomposition useful?

Partial fraction decomposition can be useful in solving integrals, differential equations, and other mathematical problems. It can also help in simplifying complex algebraic expressions and finding the roots of polynomials.

How do you perform partial fraction decomposition?

To perform partial fraction decomposition, you first need to factor the denominator of the rational expression. Then, you set up a system of equations using the coefficients of the numerator and denominator. By solving the system of equations, you can determine the values of the unknown coefficients and write the expression as a sum of simpler fractions.

What are the different types of partial fraction decomposition?

There are two main types of partial fraction decomposition: proper and improper. Proper partial fraction decomposition occurs when the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator. Improper partial fraction decomposition occurs when the degree of the numerator is equal to or greater than the degree of the denominator.

Are there any limitations to partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition can only be used for rational expressions, which means that the numerator and denominator must be polynomials. It also cannot be used for expressions with repeated or complex roots.