Please explain the short lifespan of LIPUS devices....

In summary, there are currently only 3 commercially available LIPUS devices, one of which is made by Bioventus Global called Exogen. Their website states that the device has a lifespan of 300 uses at 20 minutes per day, possibly due to the batteries or transducer wearing out. It is not normal for ultrasound transducers to wear out with only 6000 minutes of usage. When asking about the potential causes of the short lifespan, it is advised to also consider the possibility of the manufacturer intentionally limiting the device's lifetime. However, the device has been clinically tested and the company recommends contacting customer support after 300 uses for potential calibration and extended usage.
John Bartle
So far, I have only seen about 3 LIPUS (Low Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound) devices that are commercially available. The one that I am looking at right now is made by Bioventus Global and it is called Exogen.The " http://www.exogen.com/us/patient-resources ", on Bioventus Global website, states that their LIPUS device only has a lifespan of about 300 uses at 20 minutes per day.

The only components that I can think of that would cause such a short lifespan are the batteries and transducer.Which components would likely be causing such a short lifespan ?

If it is the transducer that is wearing out, is it normal for ultrasound transducers to wear out with only about 6000 minutes of usages ?

If it is the transducer that is wearing out, which part of the transducer ?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
John Bartle said:
Which components would likely be causing such a short lifespan ?

the battery

Likes John Bartle
@davennThe reason for original post was that this is kind of important.

I need a LIPUS device, and if it should stop producing the ultrasound waves or the wrong waves I don't suppose that I would ever even realize it... I would happily just go about changing the battery and using the LIPUS device, for years on end, believing that it is working when in reality it is not.

So, given your post, I will assume that the transducer does not wear out, and that I only need to worry about the battery.Thanks.

John Bartle said:
I need a LIPUS device, and if it should stop producing the ultrasound waves or the wrong waves I don't suppose that I would ever even realize it... I would happily just go about changing the battery and using the LIPUS device, for years on end, believing that it is working when in reality it is not.
Perhaps you could test functionality by using graphite powder on a sheet of paper. I suppose it should generate resonance patterns.

fresh_42 said:
Perhaps you could test functionality by using graphite powder on a sheet of paper. I suppose it should generate resonance patterns.

Yes, I suppose I could do that.

In my original post, one of a number of reasons why I posted was that I was hoping to get a concrete idea of why a LIPUS device would wear out so quickly - before purchasing it.

But, of course, yours is an excellent idea. Thanks.

John Bartle said:
Which components would likely be causing such a short lifespan ?

If it is the transducer that is wearing out, is it normal for ultrasound transducers to wear out with only about 6000 minutes of usages ?

If it is the transducer that is wearing out, which part of the transducer ?
When you called their Customer Support folks, what did they have fo say?

berkeman said:

ga790425.gif

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
I admit that I have not spoken with them yet. I called today and they will not be available until Monday.
On Monday I intend to call them again.

In this case, I don't entirely trust what the customer support might say. It - may - be in their interest to not fully divulge why their product only last for about 6000 minutes. One reason that I slightly suspect this is because their reasons were not clearly divulged in their online reading material. So, I simply wanted both their explanations and this forum's. Also, I assume that electrical engineers could possible give more involved and technical explanations. See, I was hoping to purchase an Exogen device and have it fixed if it breaks, but I need to know a little bit about what is likely to break.

Last edited:
It cannot be ruled out, that they intentionally break after a certain lifetime. They could e.g. use electronic components of minor quality. A broken resistor or capacitor would probably do. Battery replacement seems to me a too obvious and easy to repair reason to publicly admit a 100 h lifespan.

This is a prescription medical device. It was tested clinically to the indicated lifespan. Use beyond that is not medically guaranteed.

That said, it is likely only at a small percentage of its useful life. They say to call customer support after 300 uses. They may just have you do some sort of calibration and you get 300 more uses if everything checks out.

BoB

Likes John Bartle

Related to Please explain the short lifespan of LIPUS devices....

1. What is LIPUS and how does it work?

LIPUS stands for Low-Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound and is a medical device that uses sound waves to stimulate bone growth and repair. It works by creating micro-vibrations in the bone tissue, which can promote healing and increase bone density.

2. What is the average lifespan of LIPUS devices?

The average lifespan of LIPUS devices is about 2-3 years. However, this can vary depending on the frequency of use and the maintenance of the device.

3. Why do LIPUS devices have a short lifespan?

LIPUS devices have a short lifespan due to the high frequency of use and the delicate nature of the components. The sound waves produced by the device can cause wear and tear on the internal parts, leading to malfunctions and ultimately, a shorter lifespan.

4. Can LIPUS devices be repaired or have their lifespan extended?

Some LIPUS devices can be repaired, but it is not recommended as it can compromise the effectiveness and safety of the device. Additionally, extending the lifespan of LIPUS devices may not be possible as the internal components may not be replaceable.

5. Are there any ways to prolong the lifespan of LIPUS devices?

To prolong the lifespan of LIPUS devices, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and maintenance. This includes cleaning the device regularly and avoiding excessive use. It is also recommended to invest in high-quality devices from reputable manufacturers to ensure durability and longevity.