Can Relativity Theories Actually Permit Faster-Than-Light Travel?

• B
  • Thread starter Citizen247
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ftl Layman
So, In summary, the conversation is about whether it is possible to travel faster than the speed of light under relativity. The general consensus is that it is not possible, and anyone who claims to have found a way to do so likely does not understand relativity. The scenario presented as "proof" involves a spacecraft traveling at a constant acceleration and deceleration for a total of 20 years, but reaching a destination that is 340 light years away. However, this does not mean the spacecraft traveled faster than light, as the measurement used (celerity) is different from the traditional speed measurement. Additionally, the crew on the spacecraft would not have outrun any light signals sent from their starting point.
Citizen247
Hello, recently elsewhere on the interwebs I was subjected to a discussion on whether it is possible to travel faster the light under relativity. My general rule of thumb is that if you ever think you've found a way to travel FTL under relativity then you don't understand relativity. Especially on the internet, because some guy from somewhere with a degree in talking gibberish is unlikely to have done in their bedroom what some of the smartest physics doctorates have dedicated their lives to do in some of the most sophisticated laboratories ever built.

My dilemma is, though, that I'm fairly sure I'm wrong and don't understand relativity, even if I'm also certain I'm less wrong than others, but that's a hard position to argue a point from. I'm pretty sure trollers are going to troll, so have already written off the originator of this "argument" but I'd like to learn something myself. So was hoping that someone more knowledgeable than me could explain the following scenario presented to me as "proof" (their words) that you can travel faster than light :

A spacecraft leaves its source point at 1g and accelerates for 10 years. It then flips around and decelerates for a further 10 years at 1g. To the crew, they have traveled for 20 years but their source point is much further away than 20 ly, so they have traveled FTL.

My rough calculations indicate that the ship would be about 340ly from its source point and would have taken about 344 years to get there, according to an outside observer. My belief is that in order to come to the conclusion that the ship traveled FTL, you have to cherry pick measurements taken in different frames of reference, which makes that conclusion meaningless. The rebuttal was that this is not the case because "the ship returns to its original IRF".

I'm pretty sure this is complete nonsense, but I'm not confident enough in my own understanding to say why.

Likes russ_watters
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right (I haven't checked your maths!). Taking the distance in one frame and the time in another is like measuring distances northwards using the north star for direction and distances east using magnetic east for direction, then wondering why your roads never quite meet up at right angles.

Edit: or, better, claiming that your roads must meet at right angles and blaming fact that they don't on your boring conventional insistence on using a set-square.

Last edited:
Likes Citizen247
Citizen247 said:
My belief is that in order to come to the conclusion that the ship traveled FTL, you have to cherry pick measurements taken in different frames of reference,
You are correct. The measurement that they are talking about is called celerity. It is the coordinate distance divided by the proper time. Speed is coordinate distance divided by coordinate time. Even though they have the same units they are different quantities. The speed is strictly less than c in an inertial frame, the celerity may be infinite.

Your friend did not find a speed faster than light, but did find a celerity faster than c.

Likes nitsuj and Citizen247
Citizen247 said:
To the crew, they have traveled for 20 years but their source point is much further away than 20 ly, so they have traveled FTL.
Would they have won a race with a flash of light traveling between the same points they did? No, so whatever their experience is, it's not FTL.

Likes russ_watters, Citizen247 and stoomart
The ships crew will agree that they did not arrive at their destination ahead of any light signals sent co-incident with their departure. Think about a laser beacon on Earth that the ships crew observes as they travel and what they observe as they travel - they will never think they are moving faster than a signal received from the beacon. If the beacon is an hdmi bit stream of tv episodes, the ships crew will never stop receiving the bit stream, but they will see that the bits per second they can decode from the stream lowers as they travel. By the time they come to rest relative to the start of their journey, they will see that they are once again able to decode the hdmi bitstream at the rate expected by the broadcasters, but they will see (I think) that the accumulated lag over their journey is equivalent to the discrepancy you calculated.

So during their journey they were perhaps watching a tv episode at 1 frame per hour (or whatever) but they never outran the signal.

Likes Citizen247
Thank you all, that helps :).

Likes berkeman
I just finished reading about FTL in my latest library book, FASTER THAN LIGHT; SUPERLUMINAL LOOPHOLES IN PHYSICS by Nick Herbert, Ph.D. (3.7 stars). He has a knack for explaining broad concepts to untrained laymen, lighter on abstract math, heavier on visual geometry.

Of course Herbert's mind may be wired a little differently from some of his experiences. :wink: While my small area library system generally has less than half the books I seek on the relativities, it has some truly odd books. This book was published way back in 1988, back in the pre-Hubble scope-explosion time, when I surmise research trends were more interested in the FTL subject. Still, I find the book seems pretty thorough on FTL and I would recommend it to further ones SR/GR and QM understandings. His earlier book, QUANTUM REALITY (4+ stars), is probably better known... and it's now on the local shelf!

Questions on the subject of FTL are never done full justice here on PF. There just isn't enough room. Thus the value of a book... to methodically explain why some pretty ingenious schemes (even such as quantum entanglement) are highly unlikely to work. No doubt biased as a leading researcher, I feel Herbert still does a pretty honest job, logically analyzing years of high end proposals.

Wes

1. What is FTL?

FTL stands for "Faster Than Light." It refers to the concept of traveling faster than the speed of light, which is currently believed to be the fastest speed possible in the universe.

2. Is FTL travel possible?

At this time, there is no scientific evidence to support the possibility of FTL travel. The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, states that the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. However, some scientists are researching and exploring potential ways to bypass this limit, but it is still a theoretical concept.

3. Why is FTL travel important?

FTL travel has been a popular topic in science fiction for many years. It is important because it would significantly impact our understanding of the universe and open up new possibilities for space exploration and colonization. It could also revolutionize transportation and communication, making it possible to reach distant planets and galaxies in a much shorter amount of time.

4. What are some proposed methods for achieving FTL travel?

There are various theories and ideas about how FTL travel could potentially be achieved. Some suggest using wormholes, which are hypothetical tunnels in space-time that could allow for faster travel. Others propose using advanced propulsion systems, such as antimatter or nuclear-powered engines. Some even suggest manipulating space-time itself through technologies like warp drives.

5. Are there any risks or consequences associated with FTL travel?

Since FTL travel is currently only a theoretical concept, it is difficult to predict any potential risks or consequences. However, some scientists have proposed that it could have negative effects on the fabric of space-time or cause paradoxes, such as time travel. There are also concerns about the potential for collisions with objects in space at such high speeds. Further research and development would be necessary to fully understand the potential risks and consequences of FTL travel.