Please help finish my deduction for angular momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating angular momentum for a rigid body and how it is affected by the reference axis and the velocity of the infinitesimal pieces. It also considers the case of a rigid body in motion and how the linear and rotational components of its motion can be treated separately.
Cedric Chia
New poster has been reminded to use the Homework Help Template in the schoolwork forums
I'm trying to deduce the angular momentum ( for a rigid body ) on my own, and here is the problem I face.

By introducing the angular momentum of a tiny piece in rigid body (" i ") as :
Li = ri × pi
Li = ri × mi vi --------------------------------- [ Line 1 ]
Li = ri × mi ri ωi

To find the angular momentum of the whole rigid body, summing all the tiny pieces, we have :
∑ L = ∑ ri mi ri ωi

Since ω is constant everywhere, we then have :
∑ L = ω ∑ mi ri2

As ∑ mi ri2 is the definition of I ( moment of inertia ),
angular momentum of the rigid body thus can be written as :
L = I ω

But what if I want to express it in v ?

Referring to [ Line 1 ] :
Li = ri × mi vi

To find the angular momentum of the whole rigid body, summing all the tiny pieces, we then have :
∑ L = ∑ri mi vi

What is the vi and since the velocity of the tiny pieces depend on their position, how can I continue ? Or is the velocity is the same as the edges of the rigid body ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Angular momentum is calculated relative to a reference axis. Change the axis and the angular momentum changes. It is implicitly assumed in your first set of calculations that the reference axis is what the rigid body is rotating around. That axis may or may not pass through part of the body. Given that assumption, the velocity ##\vec v_i## of an infinitesimal piece of the body will always be in a plane that is perpendicular to the axis, and the velocity direction will be perpendicular to the axis. Hence ##\vec r_i\times \vec v_i= |\vec v_i|\times |\vec r_i|##.

If we maintain that assumption in your second calc then we can take ##v_i## to be the scalar speed of the infinitesimal piece, and that will be equal to ##r_i\omega##.

Note that ##\omega## has no ##i## subscript. If the angular velocity varies between parts of the object, then either the object is not rigid, or it is not rotating around the chosen axis of reference. So the ##\omega_i## items in your calc should just be ##\omega##.

andrewkirk said:
Note that ωω\omega has no iii subscript. If the angular velocity varies between parts of the object, then either the object is not rigid, or it is not rotating around the chosen axis of reference. So the ωiωi\omega_i items in your calc should just be ωω\omega.
I did write :
To find the angular momentum of the whole rigid body, summing all the tiny pieces, we have :
∑ L = ∑ ri mi ri ωi

Since ω is constant everywhere, we then have :
∑ L = ω ∑ mi ri2
** Note that the ω here does not have a subscript. **

Let's consider the following scenario :

If the object m1 traveling linearly with initial velocity u1 hit a rigid body m2 ( a uniform rod initially at rest with fixed/pivoted rotation axis at one of it's end ), the object m1 hit the ends of the rod ( not the one with axis of rotation ).

Using the conservation of momentum, we know that the the rigid body m2 ( the rod) now have a linear velocity ( which I call it v2 ).

What is this v2 mean and where does it act on ?
Why is the angular velocity of the rod ω2 is simply v2 / r as we know linear velocity at different position is not the same ?

You can treat the general motion of a rigid body either as a rotation about the instantaneous centre of rotation or as the sum of a linear motion of the mass centre and a rotation about the mass centre.
In your equation using ω, you have taken the first option, so the moment of inertia is not about the mass centre; the parallel axis theorem applies.
In the second view, you still need the ωΣmiri2 term for the rotation (the ri being distances from the mass centre) but you can use mvr for the angular momentum corresponding to the linear motion of the body (r being distance from the axis).
Since v=ωr, the resulting equations are the same.

Not sure if this answers your question, but maybe it helps.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity that takes into account an object's mass, velocity, and distance from a fixed axis of rotation.

2. Why is angular momentum important?

Angular momentum is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of rotating objects. It is also conserved, meaning it remains constant unless acted upon by an external force, making it an important concept in many areas of physics, including mechanics, astronomy, and quantum mechanics.

3. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotation) by its angular velocity (rate of rotation). The formula for angular momentum is L=Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

4. What is the difference between angular momentum and linear momentum?

Angular momentum and linear momentum are both measures of the motion of an object, but they differ in the type of motion they describe. Angular momentum is associated with rotational motion, while linear momentum is associated with linear motion. Additionally, angular momentum is a vector quantity, while linear momentum is a scalar quantity.

5. How can I use angular momentum in my research or experiments?

Angular momentum can be used in various research and experimental settings, such as studying the rotation of planets and galaxies, analyzing the behavior of spinning objects in space, or understanding the movement and stability of rotating machinery. It can also be used to solve real-world problems, such as determining the angular momentum of a spinning top or calculating the force needed to change the direction of a spinning gyroscope.