How Can You Build a Locker Alarm That Activates When Wires Separate?

In summary: The transistor needs to be an NPN transistor, and the buzzer needs to have a lead connected to the collector (the "positive" terminal). Then, in the circuit, you'd connect the buzzer's lead to the transistor's collector, and the transistor's emitter to the buzzer's negative terminal. Thanks for the help! :)
EllBe
Please help me with my school project!

I'm in AP Physics in High School right now, and the teacher just assigned our class to design a locker alarm. It must turn on when the locker is opened and turn off when the locker is closed. However, there's a restriction: the alarm must turn on when 2 wires separate, not when they come together. I'm pretty stuck with this project because of the restriction...anyone has any idea on how to build the alarm in a way that would satisfy the restriction?? Thank you very much!

Engineering news on Phys.org

EllBe said:
I'm in AP Physics in High School right now, and the teacher just assigned our class to design a locker alarm. It must turn on when the locker is opened and turn off when the locker is closed. However, there's a restriction: the alarm must turn on when 2 wires separate, not when they come together. I'm pretty stuck with this project because of the restriction...anyone has any idea on how to build the alarm in a way that would satisfy the restriction?? Thank you very much!

Welcome to the PF.

It's your school project, so we can only offer small hints.

Are you familiar with transistor circuits yet? You could have a transistor "sense" when the input "2-wire" circuit is opened...

You could use a dp relay and wire it up so the relay breaks the alarm circuit when the wires are closed and completes the alarm circuit when the wires break.

rollcast said:
You could use a dp relay and wire it up so the relay breaks the alarm circuit when the wires are closed and completes the alarm circuit when the wires break.

Good hint. That's probably simpler for him if he's not familiar with transistors.

Let's all wait for the OP to come back with a reply. They should be able to get quite far with the relay hint.

Thank you for the hints! :)

The teacher didn't tell us much about the transistors though we have to use one for this project. She provided us with resistors, a NPN transistor, LED, buzzer, wire, battery and the battery connector; and we have to use all of them.

Can you explain for me what's the dp relay?? xD is it the differential protective relay?? ty
and I'm a girl btw :P

EllBe said:
Thank you for the hints! :)

The teacher didn't tell us much about the transistors though we have to use one for this project. She provided us with resistors, a NPN transistor, LED, buzzer, wire, battery and the battery connector; and we have to use all of them.

Can you explain for me what's the dp relay?? xD is it the differential protective relay?? ty
and I'm a girl btw :P

A DP relay is a double-pole relay:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_relay

It's good that you can use a transistor -- the circuit will be lower power that way (the standby/off power consumed).

Do you have an example circuit of an NPN transistor being used to drive your buzzer? That should be pretty easy to find in the buzzer datasheet or by doing a Google Images search...

1. What is your school project about?

The school project is about [insert topic here]. It involves [brief description of project].

2. When is the project due?

The project is due on [insert due date]. Please make sure to check the project guidelines for any specific deadlines or submission requirements.

3. Can you provide any resources or materials for the project?

Yes, I can provide some resources or materials that I have used for the project. However, please keep in mind that the project should be your own work and it is important to cite any sources used.

4. How can I contribute to the project?

There are a few ways you can contribute to the project. You can help with research, brainstorming ideas, or providing feedback on my work. Please let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions.

5. Is there any specific format or structure for the project?

The project guidelines may specify a format or structure to follow, so please make sure to check those first. If not, it is important to present your work in a clear and organized manner. This may include using headings, subheadings, and visual aids such as charts or graphs.